Anyone have experience converting F 350 1-tons to JKU?

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Anyone have experience converting F 350 1-tons to JKU?

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Anyone have experience setting up Dana 60 front and Stirling rear from an F-350? I might have a deal on a set that were pulled from a leaf spring truck ($700 a pair).

Also not sure how heavy they are each, would have to pick them up in NH about an hour from my house and then get them out of my jeep on my own once home. Was thinking I may pick up a cherry picker from Harbor freight to help at home (thinking that each would be well over 300lbs!)

Bob
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Anyone have experience converting F 350 1-tons to JKU?

Unread post by Kurt »

An engine hoist / cherry picker was invaluable when I did my 60 swap. Some furniture dollies for rolling them around too.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

What year? Do some research in which ones work best, they are a lot of work and it’s still pricey to get them in there.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

You will be into the front for another $2000 but more than likely $3000 just in parts.
All stuff that should be replaced
Rotors maybe
Pads
Hubs
Unit bearings
Axle joints
Ball joints
Gears
Carrier/locker
Seals
Need brackets
Truss
Stock knuckles need reinforcement
Diff cover
Atleast a day to cut all the brackets off.
Buy new brackets
Shock mounts
Coil mounts
Trackbar mount.
If it is older than 05 which for that money it is. It has smaller axle shafts and need to do custom unit bearings if want 35 spline outer.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Thanks guys, they are older than the 05. But will probably go with the newer stubs and unit bearings. The need everything, though come fully equipped. Will be going with Artec trusses for the JKU stock control arm and shock setup. Will also probably get the Artec conversions for the sensors etc. Will probably be a long process, going to do all but the final assembly of the axles/diffs/stuff. Going to pick up a welder and learn how to weld then take on the trusses etc.
Thinking of keeping them full width. That way I won't need the 2” spacers I have on each side behind the current wheels. Of course I'll be looking at new wheels anyway. Gotta see what type of lockers I can do in them. I know the 60 will have a ton of choice, but the rears look like Stirlings so will have to figure that out.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Starting to look like it was a false alarm. The guy selling several pairs of axles has not returned any of my inquiries...
--
mudpup96
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by mudpup96 »

I just went through the process of swaping a 99-04 (leaf sprung dana 60s) and with the money spent on it, your better off getting a 05 and up one. The prep its harder but the axle is generally stronger all around. the truss swap kits made it really easy to get in under the jeep at least. i didnt use the 10.25 rear out of the superduty but from what i read, you could have issues with contact with the factory gastank on Jks
"it ain't stupid if it works!"
mudpup96
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by mudpup96 »

I just went through the process of swaping a 99-04 (leaf sprung dana 60s) and with the money spent on it, your better off getting a 05 and up one. The prep its harder but the axle is generally stronger all around. the truss swap kits made it really easy to get in under the jeep at least. i didnt use the 10.25 rear out of the superduty but from what i read, you could have issues with contact with the factory gastank on Jks
"it ain't stupid if it works!"