“Looking for adventure…

Public Events, Meets, Get Togethers, Etc....
Jonny09
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

“Looking for adventure…

Unread post by Jonny09 »

and whatever comes my way…”

So I’m taking a three month leave of absence from work (Dec-Feb) and I’m looking for some wheeling opportunities. The club is pretty dormant during these months so I’m hoping we may find some time for “unscheduled” rides either on Class VI or private properties. I’ll keep my ears to the ground. However, I’m thinking of taking one or two bigger trips during this span. I’ve got a few options in mind, but would love suggestions if anyone else is looking to take some time off or do some wheeling.

Here’s what I’m thinking:
  • Rausch Creek – I’d love to take a week or long weekend and stay at Rausch Creek. Never been, but now’s a great time to make it happen.
  • Moab – yup, it’s a stretch. But I’d love to gather any number of Baystaters and take 1-2 weeks to go to Moab. Again, never been, but I got the time, $, and interest to do it now. By the way, I here winter’s a great time to go. No crowds and great rates.
  • Winter 4x4 Jamboree – just came across this. Jan 12-15 and 200 miles west of Moab. Yes, it’s a hike, but if I’ve got no takers above, I’ll probably do this. Great variety of wheeling and one hell of an adventure.
If you are interested in any of these, respond or PM me. Im willing to do all the planning if you want. I’ll have time on my hands come Nov. 22. I’d love to get out and wheel and get know some Baystaters better. Let me know if you’re interested!
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: “Looking for adventure…

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Sounds like a great list, and some fun.

I do know that Rausch is usually only open Fri-Sun and you need to have 2 jeeps to a group minimum. You might be able to hook up with another group when you are there or will need to find some friends to go. Definitely some great trails there from mild to just about whatever you can think of.

A buddy of mine did a moab run last year with a Power Wagon club, I believe he said it was a week of just travel (About 3 days each way) and then the time spent there.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

If I buy another Jeep some day I’m going to buy it out west, drive it home and stop in Moab
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Yeah, Rausch advertises as Friday - Sunday, but mentions that a group (2 rigs) can come during the week if they call ahead and there is “availability”. I’m definitely hoping to go t9 Rausch in Dec and/or February. I may do both. If no one else is interested I’ll hook up with a group through their “connection” page. I may take a road trip to WV in December and hit some Jeep Badge of Honor trails along the way. We’ll see. So much is closed in the winter, even down south.

At this point I’m definitely heading to Utah in January. Still willing to organize a Moab trip if people are interested, but so far only crickets. Registration and trail signup for the Winter Jamboree begins Nov. 7. I’ll jump on that if there isn’t any interest expressed before that. I’m planning on 4-5 days travel each way and 3-4 days there. That’s 10-14 days. Not a short trip, but I’m really looking forward to it.

Again, reach out if you are interested or even just have questions.
shrinkhead
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by shrinkhead »

wow this is epic and consider me jealous. defo down for class 6 shenanigans and a couple days at Rausch depending on which month you thinking for that one? for MOAB I just talked about this with my family yesterday and we figured it's better in 2023 and I think I would want to ship the truck back and forth and just fly or at least trailer it down to not put all those useless miles on it
all wheelbases are beautiful
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by TheDirector »

Check out the jeep badge of honor trails, that might be a nice goal to hit them all! It's on my 5 year list, I just need to shake some of the kids off the budget so I can afford to go lol.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

TheDirector wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:59 pm Check out the jeep badge of honor trails, that might be a nice goal to hit them all! It's on my 5 year list, I just need to shake some of the kids off the budget so I can afford to go lol.
I’ve been checking them out. Rausch has a good number of BOH trails. There’s one in NH and a few in North Carolina and West VA. I would hit those if I had someone to go with. The idea of wheeling unfamiliar trails, alone, 600+ miles from home doesn’t strike me as wise. It’s too easy to get hung up alone even with a winch. All it takes is one glitch to ruin the trip!

Out west, there’s a lot of Moab BOH trails, but nothing out in Hurricane where the Jamboree is being held. Anyway, it’s a great idea and good excuse to travel for some trails! I’ve got my eye on them for the future.
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

shrinkhead wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:23 pm wow this is epic and consider me jealous. defo down for class 6 shenanigans and a couple days at Rausch depending on which month you thinking for that one? for MOAB I just talked about this with my family yesterday and we figured it's better in 2023 and I think I would want to ship the truck back and forth and just fly or at least trailer it down to not put all those useless miles on it
I love the idea of shipping the rig, but just seems too rich for this trip. Besides, since I have the time I’m looking forward to seeing the country.

I’ll keep you posted about possible Class VI rides. And, if you are considering Rausch, what month works best for you? I’m considering going in both mid-December and again in early or mid-February. My time is flexible. Id be happy to adjust my plans for whatever works for others. Let me know what you’re thinking.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Its not advisable to wheel alone, familiar trails or otherwise. Not even the Class VI stuff.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Rubicon trail mid June is in planning stages. If interested
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:31 am Its not advisable to wheel alone, familiar trails or otherwise. Not even the Class VI stuff.
Exactly, that’s why I’m trying get some trail buddies. :bluesbros:
shrinkhead

Feb for Rausch is generally doable as long as no overlap with school vacation week. December is super packed with family stuff. January pretty open for the weekends except MLK. They do get snow at Rausch right? PA?
shrinkhead

will you be at the open run in brookridge?
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Unfortunately no. I want to, but my wife and I set that weekend as our final camping trip of the year. I will be on the Turkey Run class vi, though.
shrinkhead

The Turkey trot is a tough sell for me. Would love to go and if I do I bring my wife. But getting up at 6AM on Friday after thanksgiving is going to be tough as I have a full food coma incoming