Tire hunt begins....

You can talk about anything here
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Tire hunt begins....

Unread post by DaThug »

It's time for new tires and I'm looking to see what folks are running on their rigs. DaThug is both offroad and daily driver, I've been running KM2's 35's. They have been great tire, I've had them about a bit over 4 years and for 2 of that I commuted about 120 miles a day.

I like the MT's for the heavier sidewalls when I have the time to take her offroad and the road noise doesn't bother me. I've gotten a couple quotes so far on replacing 5, mounted and balanced and I'm at $2400. Wondering if there are equally sold tires out there that folks have experience with that are cheaper because it's not a known brand, etc.

Thanks
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Tire hunt begins....

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I've been looking at the Patagonia 38" Mts. Thinking that I'll be able to get them in the spring. but I also am looking for some Dana 44 Rubicon takeouts to truss up and put under my JKU...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by TheDirector »

I just changed out my AT's for Nitto Trails, they are not as loud as a regular MT, I was expecting them to be louder. Quadratec had a flash sale a couple weeks ago and I happen to catch it and pulled the trigger. I think the Nitto is about the same price....maybe the Nitto is a tad more...so that is wrong direction.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I was on several Jeeping and offroad forums this afternoon. Whatever you're thinking about going with, grab them as fast as you can. Apparently there are alot of sizes running out of stock in a lot of places...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

$2400 seems awfully steep for 5 tires mounted and balanced Marcy. I don't know what tire you were looking at but refresh TPMS, mount and balancing should not be more than $200 - $250. I just purchased tires from Simple Tire, they are in PA, and had them mounted and balanced including refresh TPMS's. $200 out the door. Tires, 4 M/T were $1181 shipping was free delivered next day. Bob is right tire dealers have run out of stock on M/T type tires so if you find what your looking for better grab them.
shrinkhead
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by shrinkhead »

I am selling my 35x12.5 nitro trail grapplers that I had for a year with about 2K miles on in December when the 37s go on. They are 17inch diameter tires and I can sell all 5 for 800 with pickup. Hit me up in PM I am in Medford MA and can arrange for pickup here or at off-road elements. ( in December)
all wheelbases are beautiful
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

shrinkhead wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 pm I am selling my 35x12.5 nitro trail grapplers that I had for a year with about 2K miles on in December when the 37s go on. They are 17inch diameter tires and I can sell all 5 for 800 with pickup. Hit me up in PM I am in Medford MA and can arrange for pickup here or at off-road elements. ( in December)
That's a killer deal!

Something to consider that I actually do. I run OEM Goodyear Wranglers on the road. Before an offroad event, I swap over to my Dick Cepek Extreme Countrys which are quite soft, so wear a bit quick but are animals for traction, which I need with my 2 open diffs. The added upside is that I keep my eye on craigslist and have been able to buy OEM alloys with tires from Jeepers upsizing and doing new wheels. I've paid no more than $50 each for a good OEM 17" alloy with good tread Goodyear on it. I was able to pick up 2 wheels without tires for $30. I will admit that I have more wheels and tires than I need, but I'm set up well for any conditions. The original 16" steelies have some narrow, tall dedicated snows that'll go on soon. I don't mind wrenching wheels on and off.....obviously.