New Brakes going into my '13

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New Brakes going into my '13

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Got a brake light, found that one of my rear lines was frayed and leaking. but also found that the opposite side rear had a caliper that was frozen and ground the pad to nothing and cut the rotor. The fronts are ok but decided to pick up the full Powerstop z36 kit with calipers to go in. replacing all the brake lines with Stainless extended lines.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Re: New Brakes going into my '13

Unread post by Car Jack »

Easy justification for an upgrade. You needed to renew anyways, so the cost to upgrade is really only the difference. Nice. You'll like the new ability to stop.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Had a z36 kit on previously, but OEM Calipers and OEM brake lines. With the JKU on its 8th year, with the one caliper that seized, decided to replace the calipers all around, and If I was pulling those, was a perfect chance to change the lines to extended braided stainless ones.

Next up is the Suspension, but sending it out for that one...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

Interested to hear how they perform. I've never had luck with drilled/slotted rotors, always wound up cracking on any of my sporty little guys. I recently did pads/rotors on all 4 corners and went with EBC's Extra Duty line, they bite hard, and stop quick, but are still streetable.

While you've got everything ripped apart, do yourself a favor and pick up a set of speed bleeders. (unless you're the kind of guy that never bleeds brakes, then just feel free to ignore me :) )
-- Hank
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

My first set of Drilled and Slotted went on my Scion '09 Toaster, where a stop from 50 took 150', with the D&S rotors dropped to ~100'. The same thing happened on the Jeep when I switched (the first set of rotors was EBC, Powerstop since then). The D&S rotors seem to drop stopping distances by a third in most cases.

Front through the wheel

Rears
--
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Hank wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:11 pm While you've got everything ripped apart, do yourself a favor and pick up a set of speed bleeders. (unless you're the kind of guy that never bleeds brakes, then just feel free to ignore me :) )
Never actually heard of them. Looking at picking up two pairs now to put them on...
--
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Can those banjo fittings be flipped up instead of down? Those brake lines are an accident waiting to happen like that if you wheel it.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:09 pm Can those banjo fittings be flipped up instead of down? Those brake lines are an accident waiting to happen like that if you wheel it.
I believe they can be mounted either way. I'll check. Point taken, :)
--