The Horror with Stealerships...

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

The Horror with Stealerships...

Unread post by BlackKnight »

So, I picked up a new K&N CAI last week and was getting ready to put it on tomorrow. I went out to take a look and maybe start Disassembly. I look at the two bolts at the top of the radiator, bolts I've never touched before. I put a 10mm socket on it and start trying to loosen it. I notice almost immediately that the bolt that inserts through the air intake, and then down into the radiator fan assembly/shroud is just spinning. Looking closely it seems that the nuts are (were) molded into the plastic of the radiator fan assembly/shroud.

The only people that have touched those bolts since I purchased the Jeep have been at the Stealership "Dan's Jeep Westborough". Looking at how it's set up and what would be required to get it apart basically at this point requires a Sawzall (or finding a way to somehow remove the entire radiator shroud and the fan assembly working around the intake pipes that drop down in front of the radiator fan).

So I call the Stealership. And I noticed that all the names have changed... Apparently, to get away from the terrible reputation that they were acquiring, Dan's changed management to Westborough Jeep. I called the service manager and he mentioned that they are under new management, and though he's sorry for my dilemma, there is nothing he is "willing" to do for me. I explained that the only possible and evidentiary outcome was that the two bolts were spun in with an impact wrench. Even the tops of the bolts were rounded off a bit. (further evidence). The Service manager basically said, Sorry, but 90 days is the only warranty that would have been honored in this situation, and the radiator you claimed was replaced I don't have on my records.
He tells me the record according to the date that I had the radiator replaced and says that the only work that they have on record was a Thermostat housing that was leaking, Gasket and filled the radiator. And came to $800. I asked him does that seem high? and even he said that's an impossible price for that work. should have been $200 maybe 3, no more. Turns out that Dan's Charged me $800, claimed it was the radiator, then went back in changed the work order to reflect a much cheaper work, and somehow kept the overage in profit.

This is the second time that Dan's had FKed me and never kissed me. For the Warranty Transmission work I had done, they charged me a $600 "take out Fee" just in case it was not found to be a warranty repair. Then, 5 months later, after Chrysler determined it to be a warranty repair, the original receipt that they had "mysteriously lost the $600 charge...

So that said, Can anyone think of any reason that a Sawzall would hurt anything when cutting away the bolts? I know it's going to tear the crap out of the Radiator fan assembly top (where the nuts are housed) and/or the intake tube mounting position (So much for a recoup selling out the old OEM parts). Nothing else looks to go through that area, and the fan assembly does not look like it needs those bolts (not reused with the K&N, the only use would be holding the Radiator Overflow hose).
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Re: The Horror with Stealerships...

So, Just got off the phone with Chrysler.

For them to do anything I have to take it to a Dealership and pay for an analysis ($80 at last check). The dealership could then determine if it was a parts issue, or a mechanic issue (ie Mechanic used an impact on something in plastic). If determined to be a part. there is only a 2-year warranty. If a mechanic issue, 90 days...

So basically they want to get me to pay $80 so that another dealer can tell me that there is nothing that they can/are willing to do...

Looks like, Sawzall here I come. Anyone else have a better Idea?!?!?
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Well, I did a thing. Out came the 3" angle grinder and I zipped off the plastic of the radiator shroud that had the captured nuts to get the OEM intake off. For the people that were wondering about the Oil Catch Can, I included a couple of pics of the intake and throttle body. I did some cleaning in the intake and carb cleaner and a toothbrush cleaning the throttle body before re-assembly.

Throttle Body before Cleaning

Inside the intake, Used 3 blue "rags" to clean, the first one came out wet with sludgy oil. Last was "relatively clean. note could not reach more than 4-5" into the intake...

Final Assembly and the radiator overflow hose attached to the intake tube temporarily (going to put a pair of holes in the fan shroud to put some zip ties through)
--
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

I hate having the dealer do anything and your story just re-enforces that. Seems that half the time I decide to let someone else do the work, I get the car home and have to re-do it myself anyways. From what I understand, Dan retired and sold the dealership. It's a bit foggy, but I was told that someone who worked for them bought it.

If you need work done by an honest, non-dealer, close by is Ashland Motors on Rt 135 in Hopkinton, across from the highway department.
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

there is a forum section for vendor and dealership reviews. I would encourage you to post the name of the vendor in the title and repost this there. Glad it worked out for you. Can not imagine using an impact on such a simple bolt. :(
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Hoodoo Man wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:50 am I would encourage you to post the name of the vendor in the title and repost this there.
Technically the Dealer no longer exists, Westborough Jeep says it's under new management/employees. though the website actually says "Westboro CDJR formerly known as Dan's Jeep might have a new name and a few new faces but we still have the family feel. We have been serving families in the Westboro area for over 75 years and make no mistake that will continue."

So even their marketing is trying to still be Dan's, but none of the responsibility of what Dan's did...

And I agree, Absolutely no need to spin them in with an impact. the lower nut is just molded in plastic. but clearly, their support was Terrible, and using the impact is the Lazy method.
--
Jonas
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2007

Unread post by Jonas »

I used to go to the same dealer 5+ years ago, and the two jobs they did they both screwed up:

- Fix the parking brake -- When I backed out after paying for the service, the shoes were way too tight and I could just barely back out. Back in to fix.
- My starter is making a weird clunking noise -- Immediate reaction was "you need a new starter". Didn't fix the noise and I got tired of arguing.

Now, if I don't do the work myself, I take my cars to Jerry and Nick at Hopkinton Shell. They love getting more complex stuff to work on, and I have not had a problem with anything they did.

Find a good mechanic (preferably through a recommendation), get to know them, and they will take care of you.

Jonas
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by TheDirector »

The dealership is the last place I would ever go for anything except to purchase a vehicle, and maybe a car wash because my heep came with free carwashes for life...although it doesn't have undercarriage wash...so stupid. I am sure there are some good dealerships out there somewhere...maybe...I think I was supposed to also get free oil changes but I am not going back there even for an oil change.

I try to do most of my own work, and if I can't, I am going to the trusted local shop in town, or to somewhere that specializes in offroad Jeep work depending on what it is. I would rather pay for quality work than to get the corporate run around from a dealer.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

TheDirector wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:25 pm The dealership is the last place I would ever go for anything except to purchase a vehicle, and maybe a car wash because my heep came with free carwashes for life...
Most of my Stealership visits are for Warentee repair type work, I'd normally try to do it myself, or send it to a local mechanic if it's something outside m skill level...
--