RTT's and Wheeling

You can talk about anything here
Axeman
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

RTT's and Wheeling

Unread post by Axeman »

Hey guys, looking for some input on Roof Top Tents (RTTs) and wheeling. I have a few camping/wheeling/overland trips planned for the season and like the idea of sleeping up off the ground.

I have a 2006 Wrangler TJ so space is really limited. Its a 2nd vehicle for me that is garaged, and I believe I can easily remove and install the RTT and roof rack as need.

My concern with wheeling is adding the extra 120(ish) lbs up top while wheeling. I was also thinking it may be inconvenient when there are multiple days with base camping as I would have to fold up the tent each day to wheel rather than leaving one on the ground while we are out on the trails.

If anyone has any experience with using a RTT and pros/cons for wheeling in our area please feel free to share.

Thanks, Axel
Bought the Rubicon this time!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: RTT's and Wheeling

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Matt J should chime in in 5,4,3,2......
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by MattJ »

Chime!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Sorry - in the middle of something. Will type more later. Happy to help!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Hey Axeman – you’ve really thought about all the right topics! There are a lot of great things about RTT. Great privacy, great comfort and you can choose to camp anywhere no matter how muddy, rocky or uneven the ground might be. Plus, kids absolutely LOVE them. A RTT is basically a treehouse on top of a Jeep! I hadn’t thought about that before I installed mine, but it really makes for great family memories (if that’s a consideration for you). I used my RTT at town festivals and picnics to get kids interested in Scouting, Jeep life and exploring the outdoors. I am recruiting the next generation of Baystate Jeepers members!

But . . . as you mention, there are a LOT of downsides to RTTs too. The biggest one is the extra roof weight, which really makes a difference when wheeling. It’s the absolute worst place to add weight to a rig, and it increases wear and tear on just about every component of the vehicle as a result. It’s also a bit more of a hassle to set up and take down a tent that is 7 feet in the air as compared to one on the ground. Over time, I got really tired of ending every wonderful weekend of camping with 15 minutes of sweating and cursing to get the tent packed up and zipped into the travel cover (most RTT companies have taken this customer feedback and greatly improved the pack-up aspect of their designs). Finally, I’m sure you’ll come up with your own system for installing and removing the tent, but the hassle of that process adds up over time too. I even built a block-and-tackle pulley system for mine, back when I was garaging my Jeep in a storage unit.

Eventually, I decided the RTT was just too much weight to have on my roof when wheeling. So I sold my RTT and bought at tow-behind camper that has been great for extend treks off the grid for a week or longer. Then bought another RTT to put on top of trailer for the kids to use.

Every so often, I take a backpack into the mountains and sleep under a tarp for a few nights, just to make sure I don't lose my edge! I haven't been able to convince the kids to join me on one of those treks, yet . . .

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any specific questions that I didn’t cover.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

I enjoyed this write up, Matt. And I’m not even interested in RTTs. I hope you’ll be around this season. I know we all missed you out with everyone. (And as funny as the description of you cursing at your tent was— I can’t stop laughing to myself about the time you wedged yourself into field and forest and were nervous with your new trailer and backing up. — Another memory was you showing up to 101 setup with your tent and jerry cans hanging off either side of BEV. And you literally had to unload half your jeep before entering the trail.)
2005 Rubicon
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Ha! Great memories for sure - don't forget my first run in 2017 where the nut on my steering stabilizer came loose and I almost didn't make it home. Got stranded at the State Liquor Store on Route 89, going in little circles in the back of the parking lot because I could only turn left and couldn't figure out why. Not a good look. Such a great introduction to Jeep life on the trails . . .

Hoping to be vaccinated soon and back in action by the 101 this summer!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
Axeman
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by Axeman »

Hey Mattj,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I do hope to pick up a M416 or M100 trailer at some point to build next and agree that it is the way to go for the RTT. I think I might hold off this season after reading what you wrote about wheeling with it. I think most my trips have a base camp and it will just be easier to leave all the camp gear there and not have to worry about all that weight up top. Someday I am hoping to upgrade to a Gladiator Rubicon and it will be much better over the bed of the truck.

Thanks,
Axel
Bought the Rubicon this time!
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Makes sense. That's where I ended up. I learned that when you are off-camber, or dropping off a rock ledge, or crawling up one, every extra pound makes a difference!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-