Finally got my compressor installed

Jonas
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Finally got my compressor installed

Unread post by Jonas »

I finally got my compressor all installed. I know with high capacity electric compressors available nowadays it's kind of crazy, but at least it was fun.

The compressor is an old air conditioner compressor from a Mustang (I think). With the ORO bracket the install is pretty straight forward. At 1,400 rpm it pumps up the tank/cooler to 110 psi in about 10 seconds.
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 18.23.08.png
EA35B5DA-B263-49A8-A3EB-73C95C846280_1_105_c.jpeg
ECF482AA-5659-4BE2-ACA9-F14DC8C8D646_1_105_c.jpeg
E22AD720-3BC1-404F-960C-DFC416C1B79D_1_105_c.jpeg
Now I have to look for a new project.

Jonas
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Finally got my compressor installed

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

You will love having that under hood air, my only question would be does the compressor need any oil in it? I know that usually in those AC systems there is an oil component in them.

Next project, get some expanded metal in front of those radiators/coolers to help protect them from anything that comes thru that grill area.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Jonas
BSJ Member

Unread post by Jonas »

pirahnah3 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 am You will love having that under hood air, my only question would be does the compressor need any oil in it? I know that usually in those AC systems there is an oil component in them.

Next project, get some expanded metal in front of those radiators/coolers to help protect them from anything that comes thru that grill area.
This particular compressor (York 210) has an oil sump. You have to replace the AC oil with some other oil. I used synthetic compressor oil but I think regular motor oil would have been fine. The compressor is also designed to spit out oil into the freon, so there is a little hole inside the compressor you have to plug up to reduce the amount of oil in the air. Hopefully the cooler and coalescing filter remove the rest.

Not a bad idea to put some protection in front.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Very Nice!!
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Jonas there is an oil passage in side the compressor you can plug to prevent the oil escape. (Re read you already did it!)Also a plug on the side of the bottom you can put a 90 degree elbow on and a small piece of clear hose plugged to use as a sight glass for oil level.
May want to consider running hard line a foot or so out o before going to soft. The compressor makes some heat that will make that hose weak.
Nice job on the setup not many will go as far as putting in the cooler.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Jonas
BSJ Member

Unread post by Jonas »

The sight glass sounds like a good idea. I was going to suck out the oil once a year with a hand vacuum pump and replace it, but that doesn't guarantee that the oil level won't drop too low.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Mark, great point about the heat and effecting the rubber lines, Im not sure if the stainless line is rubber lined or what the lining is and if the heat will effect it. Probably still not a horrid idea.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Jonas
BSJ Member

Unread post by Jonas »

The stainless hose is PTFE rated at 3,700 psi. Not sure about the temp, but I think it's rated up to 450°F :-D