Second Mod

You can talk about anything here
Dajeep
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Second Mod

Unread post by Dajeep »

At this point I'm about to name my jeep "mallkrawler". Contrary to the overwhelming calls for my next mod to be skid plates I'm going a slightly different direction. My second mod is a second hand winch my brother gave me off his JK and I couldn't be happier. Partly due to it's cost of zero dollars but more so to the alleviation of my anxiety of getting stuck. At this point I've only driven down fire roads under high tension lines and found slight embankments to conquer. While crossing a great river basin "large puddle" and realizing the difference between dirt and mud I had my first oh poop moment and realized two things rather quickly I might add. 1st I need a winch and 2nd shouldn't wheel alone.
Attachments
PXL_20210124_005433007.jpg
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Second Mod

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Just so you are aware most high tension lines are illegal wheeling. Not saying where you were was but most are.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Without getting hurt , you learned the number one rule. " Never wheel Alone" Yes they call them 4 wheel drive , but you now know they lied. So being that you know what should be a next mod , you found another one . LOCKERS ! Yes the list goes on n on. Are we havin fun yet FjR68
NotThePainter
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by NotThePainter »

I almost lost Agnes to the ocean wheeling alone. Plus we would have had to break into the closed lighthouse keeper's house to survive the night. (Cold winter night, not prepared to hike 1 miles over sand then 1+ miles back to town, no cell phone service either...)

But I got lucky, a friend of mine lost her dad wheeling alone. Minor rollover, but was trapped. They found him weeks later.

Don't wheel alone.
Agnes is her name. YJ with a rock trac, sm465, flat belly and a disregard for minor body damage.
Dajeep
BSJ Member

Unread post by Dajeep »

I am having fun! Just knowing that the amazon driver might bring something other than a bath louver. No Mods this week but I did get some recovery straps and a bag for my rear tire. What are peoples thoughts on jacks? I'm leaning toward a bottle jack but I see a lot of the Hi jacks around.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Dajeep wrote:I am having fun! Just knowing that the amazon driver might bring something other than a bath louver. No Mods this week but I did get some recovery straps and a bag for my rear tire. What are peoples thoughts on jacks? I'm leaning toward a bottle jack but I see a lot of the Hi jacks around.
Get whatever gets your vehicle off the ground to safely change a flat. Farm jacks (hi-lift) get that task done. Make sure you know how to safely use it, it’s a part of our 101 class BSJ offers. You’ll need at least 48”.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary

Unread post by TheDirector »

Dajeep wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:51 pm I am having fun! Just knowing that the amazon driver might bring something other than a bath louver. No Mods this week but I did get some recovery straps and a bag for my rear tire. What are peoples thoughts on jacks? I'm leaning toward a bottle jack but I see a lot of the Hi jacks around.
I have seen farm jacks work well and work poorly, such as slipping under load and denting something you didn't want dented and even a couple situations where the vehicle came down off the jack. With any tool, you have to know how to properly use it. I am thinking about trying out one of these Powerbuilt 620471 Unijack.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
Dajeep
BSJ Member

Unread post by Dajeep »

Power built 620471 Unijack I bought one love it, second one is on the way.
Good height locks in for safety and can always get max height on it rather than using jack stands an not being able to get the top height. also has great stability.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Make sure it is strapped down in jeep. Hurts like hell if you take off head. Also at 11 inches you are not getting it under the axle with a flat tire.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi