First mod

You can talk about anything here
Dajeep
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

First mod

Unread post by Dajeep »

1st weekend having the JL, I completed the 1st mod.
"Front bumper"

My next will be a winch. After that I'm on the fence as to what to do. After receiving advice from Baystatejeepers forum to install skid plates, it might be next. Which is funny because I didn't have it on my list to do. But now I'm trying to decide aluminum or steel and what make.
Attachments
PXL_20210123_190852664.jpg
Derek
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Re: First mod

Unread post by Derek »

I can confirm that that bar doesn’t provide much protection, I have a ‘18 JL 2.0T and only Rustys Off-road had one that completely covered the oil pan, but the transfer case skid only fit the 4-door but can be made to fit with some drilling and cutting up the factory skid. If you have the 3.6 you’ll have more options, just double check to make sure it fits the 2-door. Aluminum vs steel, for just came down to price for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Derek wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:19 pm Image
I can confirm that that bar doesn’t provide much protection, I have a ‘18 JL 2.0T and only Rustys Off-road had one that completely covered the oil pan, but the transfer case skid only fit the 4-door but can be made to fit with some drilling and cutting up the factory skid. If you have the 3.6 you’ll have more options, just double check to make sure it fits the 2-door. Aluminum vs steel, for just came down to price for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second skid plates. I’d go steel, 1/4” if you can
Attachments
99D380D1-6813-43C6-858A-A634063B63BB.jpeg
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Steel would be my pick . Aluminum is lighter but it dont slide as well as steel. More important , if you have to press steel back into shape , it will take it. Aluminum will probably break. Nothing less than 3/16ths for me , go .25" when you can FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Steel def is more resistant to damage from dragging and sliding which is the more usual thing that happens. They do take hits from time to time but I would be more oft than not its just slidding across it which the steel will be much better for. Agree with Frank on the thickness, the thicker you can have the longer they will last.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

2nd mod may want to be Skid Plates...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Thats pretty quick Bob FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Frank wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 am Thats pretty quick Bob FjR68
:dance: Was my First mod :)
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Skids should be the priority as you are realizing. Protect your investment too wheel another day. :handgestures-thumbupright:
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Im also on the skid plate train. Make sure they are all from same company. I peiced mine with differend brands and nothing fit together right.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

The skid plate is the best mod if you plan on going offroad. If you are just building to look cool or do an easy class 6 run you are adding weight for no reason. Decide how you want to use the jeep before doing a bunch of mods that are useless to your end purpose. Everyone here just assumes you are going to wheel it.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

The first mod to my YJ was beer.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

I don't know if the JL has the same really low rear shock mounts below the axle, but if it does, consider some shock relocation brackets. I got a set of Synergy ones which also allowed me to use my stock shocks with a 2 1/2" lift. Once installed, cut off the lower part of the stock shock mount. These things have been hung up on stumps more times than I can even remember. There are others out there that include skids integrated. I just wanted to get that mount up and away from the stumps.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Car Jack wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:50 am I don't know if the JL has the same really low rear shock mounts below the axle, but if it does, consider some shock relocation brackets. I got a set of Synergy ones which also allowed me to use my stock shocks with a 2 1/2" lift. Once installed, cut off the lower part of the stock shock mount. These things have been hung up on stumps more times than I can even remember. There are others out there that include skids integrated. I just wanted to get that mount up and away from the stumps.
I agree with this 100%, often overlooked. I have the EVO rockstars on both Jeeps after watching Jeff’s sink into a stump and hang up his Jeep for about 45 minutes, breaking his winch trying to drag it off. Several times each season I witness those things stop forward movement
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

MDSRACING398 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:22 pm The skid plate is the best mod if you plan on going offroad. If you are just building to look cool or do an easy class 6 run you are adding weight for no reason. Decide how you want to use the jeep before doing a bunch of mods that are useless to your end purpose. Everyone here just assumes you are going to wheel it.
HAHAHA I assume he is going to wheel with it.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com