to air down or not to air down?

shrinkhead
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

to air down or not to air down?

Unread post by shrinkhead »

how gnarly do the trails need to be that you require the added traction from airing down while rock crawling?

Was doing a quick test lap last weekend in VT to test lights, and new lift/tire setup (2-inch Mopar w 35x12.5 trail grapplers on my JTR) at a fun little spot with a few slabs I didn't air down as I was not planning to try the most difficult line up. Ended up doing it anyways due to stoke and the truck just crawled up at my 30PSI without loosing traction.

Very familiar of the benefits and physics behind airing down but wondering if the truck could even tackle terrain where it's beneficial or the difference between making it or not making it up. There's better rollover and more clearance with more PSI as well. Anyone ever not air down? FWIW I have onboard air and enjoy the ritual generally so not trying to be too lazy.
all wheelbases are beautiful
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: to air down or not to air down?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Sometime we take a local Class VI shortcut to go get a coffee. We can pass through no problem aired up but it is bumpy as hell, not worth airing down for, but traction is no problem
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Car Jack »

I did a class 6 last year without airing down. Mostly just being lazy and not expecting anything difficult. Tires are about 34 Dick Cepeks. I wouldn't even think of not airing down at battlegrounds or brookridge, even on greens. I do tend to run higher than most when aired down at 20.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Here is a 20-something year old article by an old member of BSJ.
Airing down will not only make you look like a hero, it will cause less damage to the trails you are trying to climb.

Worth a read:

https://www.seetheusabyjeep.com/assets/ ... _down.html
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Nicely written . I hear so many people only airing down to say 14 or 20 psi. I dont have bead locks !!!!! number one answer. A stock tire is usually 2/3" wider than the rim. So you went and bought 10.5s or 12.5s on the same rim or new ones. It helps hold the tire on the bead when aired down because its wider than the rim. Rule of thumb is up to 4 inches wider than the rim. 12.5 on an 8" rim is fine. I wheeled always with S S TSLs at 10 psi and never rolled a bead. Lucky ? I just know it works so much better and you can drive with an open cup of coffee and not spill. Try that at 14 /20 lbs. After I made bead locks I went to 4 lbs. Because I could . It didnt work better I lost so much clearance . I wasnt in the sweet spot. Found it to be 7/8 psi. Not very far off from my original 10. Try it and tell me you dont have more control , less wheel spin , arent making this or that . That guy Zaedock is someone to ask questions and watch . I did. FjR68