4" Lift Kit for my JKU Sport

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

4" Lift Kit for my JKU Sport

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I need some help from the Tech Gurus out there.
Christmas came and went and I have just short of 1K in Amazon gift card balance. I'm looking to put together a 4-inch lift kit.

Here is what I'm coming up with for Components:
1. Eight Rubicon Express adjustable Control arms (front and rear, tops and bottoms)
2. Metal Cloak front control arm drop bracket (adjusts control arm angles for 4" lift)
3. full set of 4" EVO Plush ride springs (Heard great things about the ride quality etc)
4. Skyjacker 4-6 inch lift drop pitman arm.
5. Doetsch Off-Road 1 ton Adjustable Aluminum Tierod and Adjustable Draglink Flip kit (yes will fit my Dana 30 to start)
6. Rusty's Offroad extended brake lines (front and rear)
7. Rock-Hard Control arm skids (front and rear)
8. JKS Rear adjustable track bar w/ relocation/reinforcement bracket
9. Fox 2.0 shocks (all around)
10.MetalCloak front shock outboard mount (Moves bottom of the shock outboard of the normal mount for better clearance and articulation)
11.Bumpstop modifications all around (either the normal rubber with extenders or some Terraflex Speedbumps)

Does anyone have any experience with the Brands I've selected? any issues?

I'll be doing A front axle, Drive Shafts (and the conversion to the transfer case), and lockers after lifting it. But beyond those considerations, can anyone think of anything that I'm missing other than about $1500-2000 :shock:?

PS> the reason for putting it together in parts is that the only 4" lifts for a JKU on Amazon I can locate are either a Terraflex with no shocks for $2300, a Ruff Country for $1500, or a couple of no-name Chinese knock offs. In truth, I'd rather put together my own list with better parts than those manufacturers/prices...

Thanks,
Bob
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: 4" Lift Kit for my JKU Sport

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Sell the gift cards buy a complete kit that all works together.
Or talk to a shop see what they can do for you. If you buy a bunch of parts and have a shop install it they are going to charge more just because you didn't buy from them plus guaranteed you will be missing something you don't even think of.
Piece mailing a lift is a ton more work to install and get to work together.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Sell the gift cards buy a complete kit that all works together.
Or talk to a shop see what they can do for you. If you buy a bunch of parts and have a shop install it they are going to charge more just because you didn't buy from them plus guaranteed you will be missing something you don't even think of.
Piece mailing a lift is a ton more work to install and get to work together.
x2

I went through 2-3 iterations of lifts before I finally sunk the money into a single lift kit from one manufacturer. Buy once, cry once.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

You don’t need 4” for 35’s, especially with most aftermarket fenders. You also don’t need control arms except maybe lower front so you can adjust pinion angle. Skip the drop pitman and do a flipped drag link, SteerSmart makes one that does not require drilling. Control arm drop brackets are rock anchors and not needed if you stick with 3” coils.
Stick with factory track bars, they work fine and I’ve had issues with aftermarket ones. You will need raised mounts either way.
Carol has this kit, it’s more than your Amazon gift card but it’s a solid kit for the price
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

I'm on a 2.5 now with 35's and Bushwacker flat fenders, if I flex at all the back tire rubs the body line on both sides (will need to cut the front lips of the wheel well to open it up). Also, at the minimum the lower control arms will need replacing, they are heavily rusted (worried that they will start to become mechanically unsound), and I believe one of the arms on the Driver side front already has a bushing that is about dead. When I flex the front end I hear a distant clunk. I'm also getting a bit of a death wobble starting when above 30MPH.

So I figured I'd go to my Max height (Mass state law on my JKU is a 4" lift). knowing that at one point I wanted to go with tires something in the 37-40 range with a replacement front axle. in any case, the upgraded axles would be with Lockers. and appropriate gearing.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

After seeing this video

I'm convinced that metalcloak true dual rate springs are the way to go. They really have thought this out.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Metal cloak has great stuff. I've decided that I will be going with a Kit, but not through Amazon. I'll pick it up on Law-away/Payment plan via Northridge 4x4, so now looking at "full kits" in the $2-3K range with all components and shocks included. If it's something that I can't install on my own, I'll likely wind up at Offroad Elements or Elias. Either shop may bump install cost because I'm bringing my own parts, Elias's markup was minimal when I had them install my Bumpers, likely because I bought my winch through them, but we'll see...
--
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Why not buy from someone local? Don't you advertise a company on your windshield?
Support those that support the sport.
Offroad Elements
Ratchets Offroad
Barrette Fabrication
All support the sport and are donors to the NEA.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Yep Offroad Elements is on my windshield.

I would if they would let me buy with Financing (Actually it Financing through NR4X4, not Lay-away like payments). I can always call and check, but I not sure they'd have it. If not, still will have them install it.

EDIT>> Just checked their site, They offer the same Financing/Pricing, but not on the install. So Buying local at least
--
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

If you go to the Offroad Elements page, and click on anything they sell, they have financing options through Affirm.
82B11BF0-6951-421D-AEA9-8883F3606DF1.jpeg
2005 Rubicon
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Lisah311 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 pm If you go to the Offroad Elements page, and click on anything they sell, they have financing options through Affirm.
Yep, Saw it (The Edit to the above post I put in shortly after posting it).

I'm contacting them about installation cost and whether that can be added to the financed amount or has to be paid separately.
--
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I was never that lucky to have a newer Jeep. Parts in my era where this and that so I really had to make my own . I was real lucky to have kids that could understand geometry . The rear 4 link was built one time and it worked because of them. I have heard nothing good about buying pieces from a catalog Vs. a whole kit from one Co as to which one comes with problems. I like your idea of 4 in lift , not so much in clearing the tires but clearing your belly. Bob :) I would like to see a picture of your Jeep dirty and tell me where it was in code. Lot of money your goin to invest for class 6s. Good luck with the project. FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Frank wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:46 am I was never that lucky to have a newer Jeep. Parts in my era where this and that so I really had to make my own . I was real lucky to have kids that could understand geometry . The rear 4 link was built one time and it worked because of them. I have heard nothing good about buying pieces from a catalog Vs. a whole kit from one Co as to which one comes with problems. I like your idea of 4 in lift , not so much in clearing the tires but clearing your belly. Bob :) I would like to see a picture of your Jeep dirty and tell me where it was in code. Lot of money your goin to invest for class 6s. Good luck with the project. FjR68
One of the things I want to learn eventually is Fabrication, One of these days I hope. But for now, I'll have to buy someone's better engineering, was hoping to have put it on myself. If I go the big package route it'll be done at a shop, and that's the way it looks like it's going. Yes, I have plans this year even to get off the class VI's and get into something a little tougher, remembering though that it's my Daily driver also. And Yes it gets dirty, I just don't wait for God to clean it afterward (Rain) and give it a bath myself.

One new toy that my family got me for Christmas though was a new TopLift Pro. I had been complaining to my wife that one day I wanted to get the hardtop off and run without during the nice weather. But My wife wouldn't be able to help me, so I'd half to try to pull it off and then put it on either just by myself or try to line up a neighbor to help me (not a lot around that would likely be able to in my neighborhood usually).

So I just assembled it tonight...
--
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dude ! I so love the color. One suggestion . Buy and old boat trailer hand winch. Mount it to the back wall . Up through a pulley to 4 smaller pulleys. $ different length of rope , plastic coated wire and J hooks. it will lift your top up to the ceiling , be out of the way and its a one man job. Having the complete job done by a shop is the best way for you as you need it Mon mornin. You will like it so much better. FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Frank wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am Dude ! I so love the color. One suggestion . Buy and old boat trailer hand winch. Mount it to the back wall . Up through a pulley to 4 smaller pulleys. $ different length of rope , plastic coated wire and J hooks. it will lift your top up to the ceiling , be out of the way and its a one man job. Having the complete job done by a shop is the best way for you as you need it Mon mornin. You will like it so much better. FjR68
Can't get the Jeep into the garage to do it, or that would have been my process... The "Garage" is under the house and the turn at the end of the driveway is too tight and the door is small (Cement walls on both sides). Also, the garage is about 2' wider than the jeep itself (a little less than a foot wider than the door itself). I tried getting my 2009 Scion into the garage when we bought the house and it barely made the turn and working on it with anything in the garage (on the sides, depth is fine) would be impossible...
--