2021 JLUR 392 - Who's in?

mikepa
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

2021 JLUR 392 - Who's in?

Unread post by mikepa »

I am a bit surprised this has not already been posted given how much we all love this stuff. Below is a link to a Hagerty review which covers most of the 392’s tech that matter the most (i.e., not the color of the dash or available half doors).

It would seem from the outside looking in that Jeep development/marketing teams did their homework to future proof the JLU platform. In particular, it was certainly prudent of them to limit the amount of power/torque heading to the 392’s rear axle, using the Selec-Trac tcase and lowering the axle gear ratios. Keep the “rollover lawsuits” to a minimum.

And while it would be nice to see, I doubt Jeep offers the Rubicon Rock-Trac tcase even if, as the author states, some “lunatic” finds a way to hack/mod it to get 2WD.

Question remains, what does the pricing look like? Knowing FCA would not want to mess with the Rubicon market as is but target even higher margins with the 392, I am guessing they charge a $10K - $15K premium over similarly equipped Rubicons.

Your thoughts?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-s ... d=msedgdhp

mikep
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2.5" MC GameChanger, 37" Toyo MTs,
MC skids/rock rails, PowerTank CO2 air, front trail camera
and one wicked cool, push button retractable soft top
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: 2021 JLUR 392 - Who's in?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

It’s about time, and kinda cool, but it’s not for me. I don’t need a jeep that powerful for the street. Offroad, if your Jeep is built to where a V8 is beneficial, you will also need about $20k+ of axles, wheels and tires. I wouldn’t rule a V8 out for wheeling, but it won’t be a brand new JLRU unless I win the lottery
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021

Unread post by TheDirector »

I read something that said add $10K to the Rubi price, which seems about right since a big crate motor would be about the same.

I think it would be fun on the street, I am not sure if I would want that much torque while going up a large rock, unless they are going to offer Dana 60's.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
ChrisL
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by ChrisL »

I'll pick on a mall cruiser used one in 5 years, LOL.

Chris
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The amount of torque available has nothing to do with blowing up an axle . Ive wheeled 360 ftlb on a 30/44 combo for 12 years. Most of you heard Monas engine (NOT) screaming ! Thats what torque does for you. I cant believe Corporate went and did it again. Finally come up to speed on what people want and set perimeters . After 15 yrs of promising the truck wouldnt be a JK with a bed , what did they deliver. Im old SKOOL , you walk into a dealer sit down , go through a book , pick out what you want , Pay the man , go home and wait . Whats so hard about that. FjR68
shrinkhead
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by shrinkhead »

I am sort of in. sending my JL with a bed aka gladiator to Rubitrux in a couple weeks. It's a childhood dream come true type of thing. the gladiator will also greatly benefit from a little more power. that 3.6L is good for a sport with a single driver and nothing in tow but not so much for anything else IMHO. FWIW that gives me the 392 with 2Hi ;)
all wheelbases are beautiful
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

I'd rather have a smaller, lighter version of the JL. Then a smaller, lighter, less powerful engine would be more than enough. It's pretty obvious that over the years, the Wrangler has grown. The extreme is a Hummer H1 which wouldn't fit through a lot of trails we run. I wish Jeep would come out with something as a new model that's full frame, maybe 3/4 the size of a JL with similar axle set ups.

I think FCA is just putting together things people will buy. I was following a GC Track Hawk yesterday. Sure, it's cool and has over 700 HP. But it's no offroader with its lowered suspension and street tires. It's catering to the Hellcat crowd, which is fine. Heck, Rubicons are sold to 16 year old Susie's dad because, well, he wants his little sweet heart to have a "better" Wrangler than Brenda next door's Sahara. Then after 3 years, it gets traded and we get a shot at it.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Several folks have said it , you dont need a V-8 in the woods . When you put the right gear ratio for the size tire and a little bit more than stock . You have all you need. I dont know if even the buggies need a V-8 to wheel well. I know a guy still runnin I think the stock form of his 4.0 on tons and 42s. He dont seem to have any issues. This like the JT will be another grocery getter/ kid hauler. Build what you want with what you want , apparently Chrysler has different ideas of what we would like. FjR68
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021

Unread post by TheDirector »

And now in tuscadero pink!!! I have my eyes set on one of those for my dd then I can build my other one up and tow it!!!
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.