GM 5.3L issues

BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

GM 5.3L issues

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I’m pretty far along into this project, but a couple months ago I developed a ticking noise in my Silverado’s 5.3L v8, and after investigation, cylinder 3 intake lifter was stuck and/or non-functioning. This past weekend after getting all my parts in hand, tore the engine open and found the stuck lifter. During extraction of the lifter, the bore has been scored and is in need of a good honing to smooth it out for installation of a new lifter.

Anyone have a 7/8” ball hone or alternate solution?

Pictures attached for fun and context.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: GM 5.3L issues

Unread post by Kurt »

I only have a cylinder hone. Nothing that small here.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Auto parts use to rent them for wheel cylinders.. Round file. Dremel. Where are the pieces?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dan look at places that sell Dremel bits. They have flap sanders that small you could put in a drill. I would also turn the oil pump with a drill and make sure the lifter bore is getting oil. I dont think ive seen a street engine with rollers come apart like that. Not that I like to admit it. certainly not a Chevy. Doin a great job Dude. Youll have her up and runnin in no time. And with a better cam ! FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 am Auto parts use to rent them for wheel cylinders.. Round file. Dremel. Where are the pieces?
I'm hoping the pieces have made their way to the oil pan, I put a few hundred miles on the truck after the ticking noise started.
Frank wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:03 am Dan look at places that sell Dremel bits. They have flap sanders that small you could put in a drill. I would also turn the oil pump with a drill and make sure the lifter bore is getting oil. I dont think ive seen a street engine with rollers come apart like that. Not that I like to admit it. certainly not a Chevy. Doin a great job Dude. Youll have her up and runnin in no time. And with a better cam ! FjR68
Cam doesn't appear to be damaged, I'll be confirming before putting it all back together, but I really wasn't planning on a cam job, and definitely wasn't going to upgrade it, stock replacement if anything.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Wheel cylinder hone?
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Sorry same area brain fart brake wheel cylinder hone. From when you use to rebuild calipers and brake cylinders. If any of you remember that.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

I looked at the rental tools available at a couple different chains and nothing fit the bill.

I bought a flex-hone thing on Amazon, basically a 180 grit thing. If that doesn’t cut it, I’ll look into the dremel flap disk or other options noted above.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dan , just my opinion . That cam has to be damaged . It was either the cause of the failed lifter , or the lifter did some damage to the cam. Theres extreme pressure between the two. I know engines are made better than my era . This failed lifter happened for a reason. Turn the oil pump to be sure that lifter bore gets oil ! Something happened. FjR68
Axeman
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by Axeman »

Does this 5.3 have AFM? I've read that the AFM system is notorious for top end damage. The system deprives the shut down cylinders of oil when activated leading to abnormal wear. I've been looking into the AFM disabler for mine.
Bought the Rubicon this time!
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Axeman wrote:Does this 5.3 have AFM? I've read that the AFM system is notorious for top end damage. The system deprives the shut down cylinders of oil when activated leading to abnormal wear. I've been looking into the AFM disabler for mine.
It does have the AFM system, but the lifter that failed was not one of those cylinders. I’ll be running an AFM disabled in the OBD port after it’s back together.