Tie rod selection

ChrisL
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Tie rod selection

Unread post by ChrisL »

I was wrenching on the jeep today and noticed oil dripping. I grenaded another steering stabilizer. :(

I have the Teraflex stabilizer high mount and what has happened is the stock tie rod has bent into the stabilizer.

I have a 2.5" Rough Country spring lift and aftermarket wheels with less backspacing.

At this point I am looking at the CavFab aluminum tie rod. The concept of the tie rod bending instead of transferring the force some other component is attractive to me.

I kept my stock rims and tires for inspection, not sure that they will fit over the larger tie rod ends.

I can't see a reason to replace the drag link at this point.

Any thoughts?

Chris
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Tie rod selection

Unread post by RandyCarol »

That’s a bummer. Good choice to go with the aluminum tie rod, I’ve beat the hell out of mine and it’s still holding up strong. I’m on my third, and hopefully last, one for awhile. I got the Fusion 4x4 one and it uses 2.5 ton tie rod ends. No need to replace the drag link if it isn’t giving you any issues.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

After looking at Randy's 2.5 ton tie rod ends, I was very impressed. I have also read about the 1 ton tie rod ends failing on the various forums.

My only issue is the 2.5 ton tie rod is 2x the cost of the 1 ton and I am not sure it is needed.

For a Dana 44 axle and 35" tires should I splurge for the 2.5ton tie rod or will the 1 ton be sufficient?

I am looking at:

https://www.tmrcustoms.com/products/tmr ... 0942867533

which is around $50 cheaper than the Fusion.

or this one

https://www.cavfab.com/BOLT-ON-JK-7075- ... p_353.html

Chris
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I would get something that you can replace the parts from an auto parts store. Custom pieces are nice but you may be waiting for new parts to arrive when things go boom. Instead of a quick drive to auto parts.. The kit you posted I assume are custom ends. I do not believe an auto parts one ton end will fit in a stock knuckle. But I may be wrong. Use to have to ream knuckles to do one ton steering.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

MDSRACING398 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:52 am Use to have to ream knuckles to do one ton steering.
You are absolutely right, these "no drill" kits have a comically thin (stock) cartridge bolt, compared to the rest of the assembly. I think both the 1 ton and 2.5 ton "no drill" kits both will have custom cartridges. So I am not sure I can get away from it.

The problem I am trying to solve is that I like to bash my tie rod, I don't have enough lift to flip the tie rod so I am looking at the aluminum one.

Probably good advice to carry a spare cartridge.

Chris
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

I’ve never had a problem with the tie rod ends, I’ve always bent the tie rods, so I’d mostly focus on a good tie rod and assume it’s matched with decent tie rod ends. I should pick up a spare cartridge just in case, these are interchangeable, some are not
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Well since Randy is now going to order a spare cartridge, I decided to go with the Fusion tie rod and drag link.

Chris
tie rod.jpg
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

I did a little wrenching this afternoon. I added the Fusion tie rod and draglink as well as the Dominion Offroad stabilizer relocation bracket. I only needed two trips to the store, one for a pickle fork for the pitman arm end of the drag link and one for a 1/2" x 20 bolt for the stabilizer clamp.

I did a driveway alignment, creating around 1/4" of toe-in at around 30" across the tires front to back. It drives straight down the road, but I will probably have it professionally aligned.

I had to mount the stabilizer in reverse as the can was rubbing on the trackbar bolt. One problem I have noticed is the sway bar links will rub the drag link end at full lock. I may need to get longer sway bar links.

I think I am all ready for Sunday.
tierod.jpeg
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

So you had to RIG the stabilizer with the Dominion bracket? :eusa-shifty:
You shouldn’t have anymore tie rod issues
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I don't see never-seize finger prints anywhere.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Randy:

Thanks for the recommendation, I am very pleased with these components. The steering damper has really been a PITA for me. I only have a 2.5" lift so everything is really close together. I actually looked at the Dominion website and you are supposed to mount the stabilizer that way.
MDSRACING398 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:51 pm I don't see never-seize finger prints anywhere.
I put that sh!t on everything. :) Steel threaded into aluminum always concerns me. I am also anal and clean up after myself, that is why you don't see any fingerprints.

I put blue loctite on the cartridges. The rod ends and aluminum tie rod/drag links are filled with antisieze.

Chris
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Was it easier to install with the Jeep flipped over? Looks good.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Modeler wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:55 am Was it easier to install with the Jeep flipped over? Looks good.
haha, this is why left-handers die 7 years earlier...
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

ChrisL wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 am
Modeler wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:55 am Was it easier to install with the Jeep flipped over? Looks good.
haha, this is why left-handers die 7 years earlier...
I would think that it would be that much easier to install

That said us south paws are the only ones in our right minds.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
mudpup96
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by mudpup96 »

:? I know there's a few heavy duty tie rod kits that'll take GM 1 ton ends, Id go with some like that and as mark said it'll be easier to get parts over the counter compared to custom ones. I have the yeti steering kit and i wouldn't recommend it. It didn't last long wheeling at rauch creek :?
"it ain't stupid if it works!"