FRS in their Jeep

Danb33
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

FRS in their Jeep

Unread post by Danb33 »

Has anyone replaced their cb with a FRS radio? From my readings, I can use the same cable and just change out the antenna.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: FRS in their Jeep

Unread post by Kurt »

It depends on the coax cables frequency specification. CB's transmit at 26 MHz and FRS radios transmit at 460 MHz. If the existing coax is rated to handle at least 460 MHz then you could re-use it.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Hmm I wish I knew that, I thought that I cold use the same antenna/cable for either. I ='ll have to dig in to see if the manufacturer has that information on thier site. (Firestik antenna and an off-branded cable from Amazon)..
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I put in a hardwired one and just added a short whip antenna right to the back of the unit (on a 90 degree adapter.) It runs horizontally across the top of the windshield inside. When I put it in I figured if it didn't work well I'd pick up a better antenna system, but I've been using it for a couple of years now without issue. It's great for when my handheld battery is dead, or forget it, or someone else forgets theirs and I loan mine...
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

I'm using a cheap RG 58A/U cable that is good to about 1Gz to get from the radio mount to the "behind the tail light" antenna mount. I have a short adapter cable from the PL-259 of that cable to the SMA connector on the radio and the same type of insulating mount as the CB antenna at the mount. Comet SBB-2 with PL-259 mount for the antenna. Works great and is very clear.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

That gives me some hope then...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

What I do know is "VOX" option on your radio wont work. I use the radios in the field hunting . You can whisper and its crystal clear. So I tried using my swat looking head set to stay in contact with the group. The moment i start "Mona" it opens the mike till ya shut it off. Now maybe some of these new station wagons with tops and doors are quiet enough , you might have that as an option . FjR68