Towing with your JKU

You can talk about anything here
Jonny09
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Towing with your JKU

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Anyone out there tow a camper with your JKU? My wife and I are looking for a smallish travel trailer. I know of folks who tow 20+ footers, but that is way over specs. My JKU is rated @ 3500lbs towing with 350 hitch weight. Any trailer just over 17 is right on those limits (2800 dry, 3800 loaded). I’d prefer not to go pop up, but there is so little under 3500lbs on the used market and nothing I can afford.

For those towing a camper, what are you towing?
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Re: Towing with your JKU

Unread post by MattJ »

I had my trailer with me at Fall Crawl last year. And yes, 3,500lb is the limit for a JKU. There are many trailers out there in many configurations that stay under that 3,500 limit, but your options certainly are more limited due to the low tow-rating of a JKU. One piece of advice: definitely consider a brake controller system. Especially if you've got upgraded wheels on your JKU (and trailer), skid plates, rock sliders, aftermarket bumpers, etc!

Let me know if I can be of any further help. I've looked at a LOT of trailer options out there! I use a scale system to check the weight of my trailer each time it is fully loaded with gear, propane, food and water to ensure I am not overloaded.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Re: Towing with your JKU

Unread post by MattJ »

This one looks cool:

https://expeditionportal.com/featured-t ... n-trailer/