4 wheel Inflation/deflation setup

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

4 wheel Inflation/deflation setup

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Hi All, so finished off my 4 wheel inflation/deflation unit a month ago, and brought it outside to run some trials.

The Setup connected:

With the JT Brooks auto deflation running, takes about 10 minutes to deflate all tires from 36PSI ro 14PSI

Once down, Hooked up the Smittybuilt 2781 inflation pump (with the Mods as run through on ChrisL's "Smittybuilt 2781 Upgrades" post).
The Pump worked Great! It's awesome that you can connect it to the battery and turn it on and the moment you open the air connector on the hose setup it kicks on and starts pumping and then shuts down within 3 seconds once you close it again (multiple times to check pressure).

Overall inflation from 14PSI back up to 36 took just under 4 minutes. Mind you that is all four tires inflated at that time. This pump does flow a lot of air!

I've got plans and a Permanent mounting bracket I picked up from Hooke Road Store on Amazon. It's a great little mount, that is originally designed for an ARB Double pumper, but will fit the Smittybuilt without issue.

I'll be running several permanent power cables from the engine compartment to the back cargo area, so figured it would be a great place to mount the SmittyBuilt pump. I'm pushing power outback for several reasons, I'm running a set of High Gauge wires with a Quick Disconnect weatherproof connector for hookup of Jumper cables (Actually mounting the quick Disconnects for the Jumpers both front and rear). Putting in a Power converter for DC/AC conversion and some 12volt/USB outlets outback, Putting in power with a Disco for the pump, and finally thinking of dropping some power for an Amp/Sub combo.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Re: 4 wheel Inflation/deflation setup

OH, One quick safety note, The hose disconnect on the pump gets WICKED FRIKIN HOT!!!! Don't grab it with an ungloved hand to disconnect the hose!!!! I know this from experience... Dam near melted my fingers to unhook first try it after pumping the tires up, Heavy leather gloves to the rescue!
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

Stick a second shrader valve on the manifold to support another JT Brooks and it'll deflate even faster. The bottleneck in the deflation system is the single JT Brooks.

I had been thinking about a design for a quick and easy inflation system, and in my head I dropped the idea of using it to deflate because at the end of the day it doesn't save any effort whatsoever. You still need to stick something on all 4 tires. With JT Brooks, it ends there. With the full setup, you still need to pull out and stow all the hoses, too. My inflation design allows you to set your desired psi, press go, and have it automatically stop. It hasn't left my brain yet, and might not for a while. But maybe in the future I'll build it. I also came up with a way of totally cheating on the design by harvesting existing technologies from products on the market. Again, maybe in the future I'll tackle it, but I've got enough on my plate already. I do like the 4-wheel simultaneous systems, though.

Regarding the super hot disconnect, if you haven't already, consider getting a leader hose to connect directly to the pump that can handle the heat better. I'm not sure what the temperature rating of the hose you're using is. A common failure is melting the plastic hose that's too close to the pump.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Marky wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 am Stick a second Shrader valve on the manifold to support another JT Brooks and it'll deflate even faster. The bottleneck in the deflation system is the single JT Brooks.
Actually, found a faster way was to drop them all down to ~20PSI with the open valve, then let the JTBrooks bleed them down to the final level. Else not use the rig to deflate (adding the time to deflate and pull out and put away the rig together=too much effort) I'll probably just use the rig for inflation, where it excels (As you stated in your second paragraph).
Marky wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 am Regarding the super hot disconnect, if you haven't already, consider getting a leader hose to connect directly to the pump that can handle the heat better. I'm not sure what the temperature rating of the hose you're using is. A common failure is melting the plastic hose that's too close to the pump.

I'm using The Flexzilla 3/8 Air hose, Temp ratings are -40/+140 degrees. I'm not thinking that the coupler got hotter than 140, but will keep an eye out for any deterioration. the hose is a Silicone Polymer blend, so should be able to handle it for a while. If it does, I'll just monitor and clip back a few inches and reconnect as I go, the hose fittings are pretty flexible. I'm also planning once it's permanently mounted, to carry an extra 50' hose so I can help others fill out at events.

I also still have the original hose setup, I modified it so I can connect it to the US Coupler, but if I want a single inflate I have that as well...
--
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

I started to use a Viair 18" leader that is stainless steel braid over rubber hose from the compressor to the flex line when I melted the plastic of a prior flex line.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Modeler wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:44 pm I started to use a Viair 18" leader that is stainless steel braid over rubber hose from the compressor to the flex line when I melted the plastic of a prior flex line.
was just looking at one of them after the leader was mentioned by Marky. Not bad cost-wise, out on Summit racing they have a 3' one for like $37...
--
ChrisL
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by ChrisL »

Looks great, my 4 head inflater/deflator has worked great on the trail. Stowing it is a PITA though.

I bought a 18" Viair leader hose but have not installed it yet.

Chris
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

ChrisL wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:14 pm Stowing it is a PITA though.
Chris
Working on that, I'm thinking of a double strip of Velcro, one on each of the long ends. When you wind it's each side to the middle point, then drop it together into a bag (as essentially two coils).

Bob
--
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Bob , what is the CFM rating of the pump ? Thats rated unloaded ! That means I call BS on 4 minutes for all four tires to air up. You cant possibly split the pumps CFM by four and make it faster ! This I gotta see , if ya eveah get out on a trail FjR68
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

For the hot part right out of the compressor (I have an ARB dual) you can use E85 fuel line (flare fitting). Adapters from NPT to Flare are easy to find on Amazon.

That hose comes in metric (ID= 6, 8, 10MM etc). The E85 rated hose is lined with thermoplastic (PTFE Teflon) good for 400F/3000psi. Outside is layers of steel and nylon mesh.

It's what ARB ships with their locker kit to connect the compressor to the manifold.

The fittings for that hose are called AN-6 (size, 4, 6, 8mm). 6mm seems to be closest to 1/4 where adapters are easy to find (AN6 to 1/4 NPT).

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

WeekendWrangler wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:26 am For the hot part right out of the compressor (I have an ARB dual) you can use E85 fuel line (flare fitting). Adapters from NPT to Flare are easy to find on Amazon.

That hose comes in metric (ID= 6, 8, 10MM etc). The E85 rated hose is lined with thermoplastic (PTFE Teflon) good for 400F/3000psi. Outside is layers of steel and nylon mesh.

It's what ARB ships with their locker kit to connect the compressor to the manifold.

The fittings for that hose are called AN-6 (size, 4, 6, 8mm). 6mm seems to be closest to 1/4 where adapters are easy to find (AN6 to 1/4 NPT).

AN fittings are not metric. AN stands for Army Navy and is measured in 1/16 in increments. A -4 is 1/4", a -6 is 3/8".

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answe ... fitting%3F
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

My mistake. That makes more sense!

2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Frank wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 am Bob , what is the CFM rating of the pump ? Thats rated unloaded ! That means I call BS on 4 minutes for all four tires to air up. You cant possibly split the pumps CFM by four and make it faster ! This I gotta see , if ya eveah get out on a trail FjR68
5.65CFM (160LPM) capable of 150PSI and I'll make a video with a Timer if you like? I'm telling you, Inclusive of closing the valve 3 times to check the pressure (~3 seconds from Off to On each closure, as you cannot check the pressure of the lines with the pump pushing) the timer cam in as just under 4 minutes for my 4x35"s from ~15PSI to 35PSI...

One thing to remember, Adding tires does not change the pressure, it's only Volume, not pressure. this pump pushes 5.65 CFM, that's maxed airflow at low pressure, yes, but the pressure is the SAME 1 tire or 4 tires, Only Volume changes...

EDIT>> Update, I created a Video and redid the test stopping once in the middle at 210 to check, it took 4 minutes almost exact from ~15 PSI to 35PSI in the 94* heat (Actually had to redo the video at the start as It took me a couple of minutes to pull out and set up the pump, in that time the tires went from 14 back up to 16PSI so had to re-lower them to 14PSI). The video is processing up to Youtube now, will post the link once it's complete.

EDIT 2>> Here's the YouTube video on the inflation...
--
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

BTW, here's a link to a review (yes I know it's a Toy Yoda Site, (Bleh, even a sour taste saying it)) but they compart it against the Viair 300 and 400 series that take almost 5 minutes per tire, the SM 2871 takes ~2 minutes/tire, but remember Volume vs Pressure. The SM is 5.65 at 0PSI, but even at 10/20/30PSI it's High Volume...
--