JLU Rubicon Mopar 2” Lift

Mizza
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

JLU Rubicon Mopar 2” Lift

Unread post by Mizza »

Hey Everyone,

I’m running a 2020 mostly stock JLU Rubicon on 33” Wildpeak M/T and stock 17” wheels. I ordered a Mopar 2” lift and hopefully having it installed next week. I am thinking about installing 35” Wildpeak tires on 18” wheels shortly after (depending on how the 33” perform with the lift at the next run).

After reading a few reviews on Quadratec, there was a comment about needing to swap out the track bar if upgrading to a larger 35” tire. Is anyone running this setup with 35”+? If so, did you have to replace the track bars and what did you go with? Anything else that I should be thinking about with this upgrade and potential wheel and tire upgrade?

Thanks!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: JLU Rubicon Mopar 2” Lift

Unread post by Frank »

Its only an opinion ! After wheelin for 15 yrs and have watched 4-5 models come and go . I really in my heart will tell you to go 3+ inches with any 4 door. What we do is tough and if you think 2" will stop you from dragging , it wont . There are people with your rig that will answer also. Take all the info in before you have to spend twice . FjR68
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

You caught me up early with the baby, so I will take the time to share what I learned last year :-)

I looked at the Mopar lifts for a while last year. They are designed by Mopar to be complete (JK kits include a front driveshaft!). My guess is that it will ride fine without a new track bar. If you need to adjust it for some reason it can be swapped out easily.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

I will second what Frank said. You'll be wishing for just a little more clearance on a JLU at 2".

But another thing to consider is the stated lift height and what you get as a result aren't always the same (commonly higher because lift springs are made to compensate for other aftermarket add-ons and additional weight, like winches).

Your best bet is to find someone with this lift on a JLU who wheels it on stuff you're looking to do and if possible, check it out in person.

BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I'll Third Frank's post, I'm in a JKU with a 2.5 lift (plus a leveling kit in the front) and I'm running 35's. If you plan on any bigger tires than 33's then definitely go 3" or 4". I'm rubbing all over on the 35's with a 2.5"...

Didn't replace any Track bars/control arms as of yet, though considering switching out Control arms (my stock ones are rusted all to hell), will then look at Track and steering bars.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Liv2Ryd
Jeep Year: 2006
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Liv2Ryd »

Your going to find that the sweet spot for running 35's is a 3" - 4" lift. I'm not a JLU expert by any means and you may be able to get away with your stock track bars however, you may be making some compromises with you Jeep's suspension/steering by keeping the stock stuff. When putting in a 4" lift on my 06 TJR, to get my steering dialed in correctly, I had to replace my control arms and track bar.
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement

Liv2Ryd/Ryd2Liv

06TJR with 4" RE Lift, 35's, Lockers, 5:38 Dana 44's, UCF/Savvy skids, Savvy steering, Vanco brakes, Q9000 Winch
Mizza

Unread post by Mizza »

Thanks guys! Extremely helpful advice!

Since the Rubicon stands a little taller than other models stock out of the factory, I'm hoping the 2" gives me the little extra that I need for easy/medium trail runs. We're still new to this sport and won't be venturing down blacks just yet! That said, I'm sure there will be an upgrade in my future if this becomes an every weekend thing! I'll keep this thread updated after the install.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Track bar has more to do with lift and not tire size. Most decent lifts come with track bar relocation brackets that lift and position itself to use the stock track bars. Both my wife and I have 3”+ lifts and use stock track bars.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Ride height is set by springs. If the Rubicon JL sits taller from the factory it's in the springs. You won't be adding onto that already increased ride height because you're replacing them with new ones.

That means for every inch taller your Jeep is starting out from the factory, it would be one inch LESS _net_ increase in height from any given kit/upgrade.

I hope that makes sense...

Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

Mizza wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 pm I am thinking about installing 35” Wildpeak tires on 18” wheels shortly after
Any reason for the increase to 18" wheels? Personally, I'd stick to 17's for the extra sidewall, cheaper tires, and availability of choices, but I'm curious as to if you're trying to clear some massive brakes/suspension components or something.
-- Hank
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Hank wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am
Mizza wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 pm I am thinking about installing 35” Wildpeak tires on 18” wheels shortly after
Any reason for the increase to 18" wheels? Personally, I'd stick to 17's for the extra sidewall, cheaper tires, and availability of choices, but I'm curious as to if you're trying to clear some massive brakes/suspension components or something.
I agree. 17” is ideal wheel for both street and offroad
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Lol you guys going to tell him if he should wear boxers or briefs too?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:51 pm Lol you guys going to tell him if he should wear boxers or briefs too?
Boxer briefs dude
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

RandyCarol wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:09 pm
MDSRACING398 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:51 pm Lol you guys going to tell him if he should wear boxers or briefs too?
Boxer briefs dude
^^ There's the answer. Boxer briefs for the win.
-- Hank
Mizza

Unread post by Mizza »

Quick update on this. I had the Mopar 2” lift installed today at the dealership. Before and after measurements show 2.5” lift to the bottom of the fender (42.5” total height). The dealer also recommended installing a new steering stabilizer (which I did).

The JLUR is supposed to fit 37” with this kit. I will most likely go with 35 x 17 soon.

I also got a pair of boxer briefs as recommended.

Thanks for all the advice!