Need help diagnosing steering problem

gwk
BSJ Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Need help diagnosing steering problem

Unread post by gwk »

Hey folks, need help diagnosing some problems that appeared after the run up OFR today:

1. Steering wheel must be rotated approximately 45 degrees to the left in order to drive straight. Nothing is (at least obviously) bent, broken or misaligned underneath - no disconnection or obvious slippage in any linkage. Seems to have full range of motion, though presumably it's a hair short turning to the right (since "a little to the right" is now neutral position).

2. "Electronic Stability Control Requires Service" light is on. No other effect noticeable except the warning indicator being on.

Immediate question is whether it's safe to drive. I took the back roads home figuring I'd rather find out at 40 mph than 80 mph and the jeep drives fine otherwise - no vibration, shimmy, or other general signs of misalignment.

Any suggestions what to look for or try? On the steering, I'll take it to a dealer if I have to but it would be nice if I could identify some part of the linkage that just be could be loosened, moved, and re-tightened.

I don't even know where to start on the stability control - the alert persisted across restarting the car a couple of times, meaning it didn't clear itself after e.g. getting mud out of some brake path or something. I'm going to try moving it back in and out of 4LO (stability control turns off in 4 LO, and the problem occurred after I put it back in 2HI to get on the road after the run, so maybe there's a stuck switch or something).

Thanks for any ideas!
gwk

Re: Need help diagnosing steering problem

Unread post by gwk »

Hmm. Looks like the sad answer would be that the steering box is fubar from pushing around the "too big" tires.

The more hopeful answer would be that the two symptoms are connected and the fix is easy. I found this article, basically describing this problem and how to adjust the drag link to fix. I'll try that first. Fingers crossed.
http://www.northridgenation.com/fix-the ... er-a-lift/
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

My guess is you jumped a tooth or 2 in the steering box. As for your electronic problem that is all related to the position of your steering wheel. If it senses it crooked for to long it does that.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Cant say on the new ones, but Mine is turned left to a degree from wheeling, I might fix it this year finally lol. I was given the same theory that probably skipped a tooth somewhere in the mix. One person wondered how I could have done that....I dont know its not like any of us ever pull on the wheel or have them turned hard into something.......
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by KenCal »

My 2cents, you could have a bent lower control arm on either the driver or pass. side. Bent up not the bend for tire clearance. Get under there and check both lower CA's one of them is probably bent up pulling that side of the axle back a little. Try measuring each arm from the center of the bolt on each end if you can't see any bend to be sure. You might have come down hard enough on one to bend it, happens especially with the weak OEM's. You could do a temp. fix by bending it back but you should replace it or upgrade both lowers. I still have the OEM CA's from my JK if you want them. Your warning lights are on because your steering wheel is turned making the computer think your in a skid. You can also adjust the drag link but that just centers the steering wheel, it doesn't fix the cause. Look for the simple things first.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

My Jeep does that sometimes, I can never find anything wrong so I adjust drag link back to center and it’s fine for a couple of months and that fixes those other issues
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
gwk

Unread post by gwk »

Thanks all. I adjusted the drag link to recenter the wheel last night, and after a brief drive the error cleared. I'm going to look for bends in the track bar - I'll have to hose it down first to get it clean enough to see e.g. slightly crinkled paint. I doubt it's the control arms (not OEM, and Metalcloak makes pretty sturdy stuff) but the track bar and drag link ARE both OEM, and they did get a beating this weekend. Maybe time to upgrade those.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

At one point I found the front track bar frame mount hole to be slightly elongated. I could get the track bar bolt pretty tight but it would move a bit each time I’d load it up. The symptom there it was that the steering wheel would be off center but in different ways after steering for awhile, that told me something was moving. I put on a brace with the nut welded on so the bolt can’t move. That problem was fixed but still get the same off-center posted above occasionally but when it happens the off-center stays consistent.
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I recommend Firestone's lifetime alignment program. The way we drive it pays for itself!!

My local manager said some managers won't extend the program to vehicles obviously used offroad like ours, but as a Jeep owner himself he does. Once you have it, all Firestone locations will honor it.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Having been around cars all my life I cant by what you said tell you whats wrong. What I can tell you is its not the steering box jumping a tooth. Its more likely that you bent a control arm than anything else. By adjusting the drag link you shut the light off but it didnt fix any of the problem . Your tire wear and toe in or out will kill your tires faster than you think . All the stock control arms are junk so plan on getting BOXED or tubular ones for the long run. Greasable and adjustable if you can afford them . Only a comment from an outcast. FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

When I adjusted the drag link it turned off the light and fixed my problem. I didn’t do it without looking things over first but it’s important to point out that it COULD be something else, so don’t just adjust without checking everything out
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

That I dont get Randy . Please explain how a 5 point anchor system could change with out something not bent ????? The trac bar hole being egged out could explain a slight angle of steering wheel change. Thats only cause the axle can move side to side. Yet the wheels are still aligned . You bend a control arm and everything is off so yes tire wear , ball joint , bushings are going to fail at a quick rate . Just saying for a friend FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

I read Grants question as the only concern was the steering wheel was off 45°and everything appeared to be ok. It happens to my Jeep occasionally when playing rough and in my experience it’s been as follows:

-steering wheel off but consistent: draglink needs adjustment
-steering wheel off and changes as you drive: loose tie/drag link end
-steering wheel off (but consistent) but will be different after more forceful moves such as after turning into parking spaces, u turns etc: elongated draglink hole (doesn’t take much)

And again, this is after things have been checked out. I have changed plenty of steering parts including steering box, but more often it’s tightening a couple nuts or adjusting drag link.
I am not an auto mechanic so I am not offering solutions or saying he can’t have something else wrong he can’t see, you made good points, but sometimes it’s just a simple adjustment
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

How could it happen is the question ? Are the threads stretchin ?????? There has to be an answer . What do you find different ? FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

No idea. Maybe the draglink center link rotated? I’ll put paint lines and see if they move