New Waitlister from Groton MA

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
mherdiech
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

New Waitlister from Groton MA

Unread post by mherdiech »

Hey all! I wanted to introduce myself! I just got a brand new Rubicon Recon edition in Granite Crystal. I am new to off-roading and this is my first Jeep. Currently stock, but plan on putting a lift on it and putting on 37s. Any suggestions??
Attachments
4944E3C2-E756-43BB-9009-70489B15B06F.jpeg
138C1B5D-AB4C-4449-A231-6C02A0494FE6.jpeg
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: New Waitlister from Groton MA

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Hold off on the 37’s. Invest in protection and seat time. Both of those will get you further down the trail while ensuring you know what the hell you are doing and protecting your investment. Modifications on jeeps are rarely as easy as installing a lift then tires.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
mherdiech

thanks for the advice!!
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

I agree with Dan. First mod should always be skid plates. Bigger tires just means you'll be aiming for bigger rocks. You'll hit them regardless. Protect what you have while you can still bolt stuff on. The more you hit, the more you move stuff around and some things just don't fit well anymore. (Especially those low-hanging parts.) 37's is an investment far beyond just a simple lift and tires. You'll be changing the geometry of your drivetrain and you'll end up putting a LOT more money into it than you might think. But to go back to the "aiming for bigger rocks" thing, without having the experience, you're far more likely to get yourself into serious trouble. And worse, you'll be missing many opportunities for "safer" experience building. The best protection you can buy for yourself and your Jeep is experience and there's only one way to get that. I've seen MANY people build their Jeep faster than their own experience, and those are the ones who are limping home with broken/dented rigs. Besides, everyone's driving style and interests are different. If you build too quickly, you'll end up doing something you didn't want to do. Take your time, figure out what is best for you, and do it right, once. Your overall experience (and wallet) with be much better off!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
mherdiech

Thanks! As it is now, already pretty capable so I see what you mean about taking it slow and soaking up experience. It's actually a Rubicon Recon edition, so I have skid plates and rock bars out of factory, along with steel bumper group.
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

That's good! I haven't looked under the new JL's yet, so I'm not sure of how well they actually protect the Jeep. Historically, Jeep balances "offroad ability" with "mall ability". They know most people do not wheel their Jeeps, so they cut corners. There's always been things that cause you to scratch your head in confusion over some of their decisions. Often, their skid plates are not up to the task, or they leave certain parts vulnerable. For them, it's easier to manufacture, or reduces weight which improves economy which moves them in the right direction to satisfy regulations (and most consumer expectations.) I also own a Rubicon, and I still added a ton of protection to it. In some cases I augmented stock and in many other cases I protected things that were left completely vulnerable by Jeep. Take a look under your Jeep. If it's hanging down, you're going to hit it. If it's not hanging down, you could still hit it. Ask yourself what could happen and how much will it cost to fix/replace it (and how many times it'll happen). Now compare that to the cost of a skid plate. And don't cheap out! I bought some front control arm skids for 1/2 the price of another brand. I replaced them twice in one year. The second time I smartened up, paid double and haven't had to touch them in years.
2014-19 Vice President
mherdiech

Cool, thanks so much guys! As you can tell, I'm new :). Any fun places to try out in the NE area that don't require membership?
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

We tend to be a little protective of wheeling spots. Too many have been closed down due to misuse. Many of the places we go are private property with landowner permission, but we do hit some public spots as well. It's really important not just to keep it legal, but to respect the land and not rip it up or places get closed down. Keep an eye out. We sometimes invite waitlisters on runs (depending on turnout.) Also, since we now have a new membership system I would expect spots to open up as we go through the year. We also publish "open runs" from time to time. Check out the public events section of this forum. Sometimes things pop up there.
2014-19 Vice President
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

Wow another Mark? We have like 20 of them in the club already. You’ll need a nickname. Haha

Nice JL! Extra nice with the doors and top off! I do agree skid plates are important and definitely a priority— but personally, I don’t agree with the whole “see what your jeep is capable of stock.” If you want to lift it, do it. They look great on 37s.

Definitely research types of lifts. There are a few people in the club with some beautiful JLs lifted on 37’s.

I see you’re on the waitlist. Definitely keep checking the forum for open runs.
2005 Rubicon