Ball joint break in?

JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Ball joint break in?

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Just installed a new set of Synergy upper and lower ball joints and now it feels like I'm all over the road.

Caster and pinion angles are correct. TF tie rod ends are adjusted the correct preload. Toe in is ok and it was aligned just a few weeks ago. Steering stabilizer is new. Tires are at 32 lbs. It was a bit off prior to the balls joints as 3 were blown, 1 was frozen.

Read a few threads that suggest a break in period. Over 40 mph is pretty hairy right now
Any thoughts?
Chrome? Never heard of it.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Ball joint break in?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I had a similar problem on Carols Jeep and it was one of the drag link nuts. I’d double check those and the tie rod. Tires might be a little high too
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Thanks Randy, the drag link flip has the castle nut torqued and cotter pin is in place. Tie rods are also tight ( seemed so anyway) I can dump a few lbs from the tires. Are you guys going tomorrow?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

JeepAddict wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm Thanks Randy, the drag link flip has the castle nut torqued and cotter pin is in place. Tie rods are also tight ( seemed so anyway) I can dump a few lbs from the tires. Are you guys going tomorrow?
The issues I hear with new ball joints is that they are stiff at first, you will get them broken in tomorrow. I’m going with one of my daughters. Carol has work stuff to do, she came with me last week.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have never heard of having to break in a ball joint . I do have to admit , Ive never had an adjustable ball joint. Id have to all BS on this , same as I did with the statement non-greasable U-joints are built to tighter tolerance . Totally absurd . Are there stronger than stock U-joints ? For sure . But its material used not tolerance . Friends of mine have spent serious money at shops after they have lifted a JK/JL. It mostly came down to the flimsy steering linkage you paid for when you bought it. Rule is if it didnt and you do something and now it does , Look at what you did ! Thats the problem. FjR68
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Synergy claims a 100-300 mile break in period for the ball joints to loosen up some. They felt much better after today's run.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

JeepAddict wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 pm Synergy claims a 100-300 mile break in period for the ball joints to loosen up some. They felt much better after today's run.
That’s good