Local wheeler and Detective John Songy...

Public Events, Meets, Get Togethers, Etc....
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Local wheeler and Detective John Songy...

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I know a lot of the older club members know John Songy, he worked at Elias 4wd for a while and has been involved with the NEA for over a decade. He is a detective with the Rutland Police department and has been hospitalized for COVID-19 for about two weeks now. A fellow police officer is organizing a 'jeep parade' past his house where his wife Joanne who is a nurse is currently recovering from the same illness and the parade will continue past the hospital. John has had plasmid transfusions and advanced treatments but is now on a ventilator and his prognosis is uncertain.

If anyone wants to be part of the parade it is this Saturday.

Attachments
image.png.ceb4f412de62ae58a0c66be912bc18c4.png
image.png.ceb4f412de62ae58a0c66be912bc18c4.png (231.43 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Local wheeler and Detective John Songy...

Unread post by Frank »

That would something great to be part of . FjR68
ThundahBeagle
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: WJ

Unread post by ThundahBeagle »

I've been off the forum for a while. Sorry I missed this. I dont know Det. Songy but i hope he and his wife make full, speedy recoveries
Hoodoo Man

There was a 40-minute parade with hundreds of police cars, fire apparatus, motorcycles, Jeeps and other vehicles. Quite an impressive showing.
He is doing a little better but is still on a ventilator and dialysis. Joanne is in full recovery mode but John is still in critical condition.

A local club is also doing a benefit run for John and his family;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/491179807980386

So as many of you already know our friend John Songy is in the ICU fighting for his life from Covid19. Battle-scarred Offroad will be hosting a open run at the Battlegrounds property and a on road class 6 run. We will be doing a 2 day event on May 30th and 31st. All proceeds will be going to the Songy family. The fee for the day will be $30 per rig and $5 per passenger for offroad wheeling and $20 per rig for the Class 6 dirt roads run. All event participants including passengers will need to sign a waiver before entering the property. We will have staff on hand to lead groups, spot and recovery. The property is mostly blue and black so there will be a minimum requirements listed below. The street run will be going through dirt roads and light obstacles with mud and water crossings but most stock Jeeps will be able to do it.
Minimum requirements for The Battlegrounds:
1. Front and rear tow points
2. 33+ tires
3. One locker
4. First aid kit
5. Fire extinguisher
6. Full size spare tire
There is not a lot of "go arounds" and there is a change you will scratch or dent your rig on property so come prepared to accept that.
The on property group will be limited to 30 rigs per day and it will be first paid/first on the list.
The off property ride will be limited to 30 rigs per day also and payment will be the same as above.
All payments are to be done Via Paypal to Battlescarredoffroad@gmail.com via friends and family option only. If you do not have Paypal I will take cash at my house but your name will not go on the list until your payment is received. ***Passengers can be paid at the gate in cash.*** Please put what day you are attending.
This is kind of last minute and there will be some things added or changed in the days to follow. The "Official" list will be updated daily, if your name is not on the list you will be turned away as we can only handle so many rigs.
All social distancing rules apply to the event.....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Hank »

Sadly, John Songy has lost his battle:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/rutland-po ... 9/32712834

Hopefully this event can raise some much needed funds for the family.
-- Hank
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I've known John for a long time. He was a big, strong, kind guy.

He has contributed to land use issues at the NEA level for many years. He helped us organize many Molly Bish charity rides when John Bish could no longer ride on a Harley. He did what he could, when he could. He was a proud Husband, Dad and Police Officer. He will be missed.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man

this has been moved to June 6th and 7th due to the untimely passing of John. As Joe mentions above John and Joanne were avid wheelers and all-around good people. He will be missed.

Hoodoo Man wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 am

A local club is also doing a benefit run for John and his family;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/491179807980386

So as many of you already know our friend John Songy is in the ICU fighting for his life from Covid19. Battle-scarred Offroad will be hosting a open run at the Battlegrounds property and a on road class 6 run. We will be doing a 2 day event on May 30th and 31st. All proceeds will be going to the Songy family. The fee for the day will be $30 per rig and $5 per passenger for offroad wheeling and $20 per rig for the Class 6 dirt roads run. All event participants including passengers will need to sign a waiver before entering the property. We will have staff on hand to lead groups, spot and recovery. The property is mostly blue and black so there will be a minimum requirements listed below. The street run will be going through dirt roads and light obstacles with mud and water crossings but most stock Jeeps will be able to do it.
Minimum requirements for The Battlegrounds:
1. Front and rear tow points
2. 33+ tires
3. One locker
4. First aid kit
5. Fire extinguisher
6. Full size spare tire
There is not a lot of "go arounds" and there is a change you will scratch or dent your rig on property so come prepared to accept that.
The on property group will be limited to 30 rigs per day and it will be first paid/first on the list.
The off property ride will be limited to 30 rigs per day also and payment will be the same as above.
All payments are to be done Via Paypal to Battlescarredoffroad@gmail.com via friends and family option only. If you do not have Paypal I will take cash at my house but your name will not go on the list until your payment is received. ***Passengers can be paid at the gate in cash.*** Please put what day you are attending.
This is kind of last minute and there will be some things added or changed in the days to follow. The "Official" list will be updated daily, if your name is not on the list you will be turned away as we can only handle so many rigs.
All social distancing rules apply to the event.....
1970 Jeepster- stock