Tire size / gear recommendations

Jonny09
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Tire size / gear recommendations

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Well, I thought I'd follow up with what I ended up doing. I'm not ready to regear now but definitely needed something more aggressive than my highway A/Ts. I found a great set of take-offs from someone who went 33 but wanted bigger. I picked up a set of five 275/70r18 Wildpeak AT3s (I got 'em half price!) which measure out to 33.4 inches (32.5 installed). These are a full 1.5 inches larger than my stock duelers (installed height) and much more aggressive. I'm waiting on my re-programmer to come to adjust the computer, but so far I love them. Great next step. There is a slight rub onb stock wheels at full driver and no rub passenger. I think I'll just throw a washer in the steer stop which I suspect will stop the minor rub at full steer. Here a few picks:

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Steering stops are adjustable , just so you know. No washers needed. Might want to look at the drag link also . You can center the throw that way also. Make sure your at the stop at full pass . That will tell you if things are centered. See if your at the stop driver side. See what its rubbing. Ive seen some sway bars shift in the frame mounts and the would only require a BMFH ! Having a bud over for help turning while your under works well or an alignment shop can fix it for money ! FjR68
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Washers behind the head of the bolt add backing it is a good idea keeps bolt for bending. If it is lifted without adjustable trackbar the axle is more than likely offset a little.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Listen to Mark, you need adjustable track bars so you can center your axles under the frame. Big benefit, it will handle better on road too.
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

Frank and Mark both said it. The lift moves the axles to the driver's side. So when you turn full driver, it'll rub on the pass side sway bar a bit. Wheel spacers will fix this. Watch Craigslist. I think I saw someone in BSJ had a set they wanted to get rid of.

If you have a couple sets of wheels, you can dispense with compromise. Really aggressive tires for offroading days and the street setup otherwise. I do this. I think you'll be fine with the setup you've ended up with. When I upped to 295-70-17's, I got sway bar rub near full lock both directions. I bought a set of spacers off craigslist and have been very happy with the setup.

For future, maybe, there are a couple of 36x10 tires out there. One is Kenda, but they're not very aggressive. The other is Super Swamper and they are VERY aggressive. Someday, I'll do the swampers, but the way my Dick Cepeks are wearing, they're going to dry rot before I run out of tread.

And by the way...I've got the 3.6 auto with 3.21 gearing and have no problems with it. The auto makes it easy offroad and if the revs are too low on the highway, I whack over to manual mode and drop a gear.