Bumper recommendations

bangel2209
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Bumper recommendations

Unread post by bangel2209 »

Hi Everyone;
I hope everyone is staying safe in today’s world. I am looking to replace my stock bumpers with something a little more durable. Since I already dented my front bumper on the 2019 101 ( my first run ). I like the look of the mid-with,with a recessed winch. I have not started to research winchs yet, so any input on those too would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of options out there was looking to get some input from my Baystate friends.
Thanks
Carl Goodman
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Bumper recommendations

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Depends on budget and personal taste. Just put a Poison Spyder Bruiser bumper on my wife’s Jeep and it’s nice. Her biggest requirement was a recessed winch. I have a Hanson mid-width it’s a decent bumper but avoid those guys, they WILL screw you over. There should be good Easter sales and free shipping coming up any day now.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

I've got an LOD Signature Series mid width bumper, and it's been a tank. Recessed winch, utilizes stock fogs, etc. The company was also very helpful in providing instructions/hardware sizes/etc as I picked it up used.
-- Hank
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Anything made in the USA you can't go wrong with!
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

MDSRACING398 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:14 pm Anything made in the USA you can't go wrong with!
Thats a good point.
Go USA!
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

JCR!
2005 Rubicon
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Lots of choices when it comes to bumpers for sure. My advice , take your time deciding which one is right for you. Look at what others have and if possible ask them if they like or dislike it. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a quality bumper and almost anything would be better than the stock bumpers. Good luck and shop carefully. A call to Off Road Elements for some advice may be helpful and be sure to tell them you're a member. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have been very happy with my HardRock4x4 bumper. It's now been mounted on three of my JKs and I bought it used. Hardrock stands behind their product too. When I damaged the bumper winching in a bizarre incident at Brookridge (shock mount was buried in a stump and pulled so hard I damaged the winch and bumper) Hardrock sent me a brand new replacement bumper. Not many companies stand behind a product that way. Aside from having to paint it occasionally due to having worn the original powder coat off of it its held up very well and is very stout.

Also keep in mind whatever you buy depending on the year of your jeep (2011-2017 iirc), you may need to relocate a canister on the front end, with this version you don't need to move it.

ImageUntitled by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/183258306@N07/]
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
mudpup96
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by mudpup96 »

I'll second LOD bumpers, I have their stinger bumper and love it. The powercoating holds up very well. I also would recommend Motobilt bumpers but its all on personal taste.
"it ain't stupid if it works!"
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I run the EVO Pro Series on My JKU... but it's all about Taste...

Sorry for the pics, I don't have any specifically looking at the bumper, Can take some if you're interested.

Bob
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Guys, what are the pro/cons of a stubby vs full width bumper? I guess the theory is not dragging the bumper on rocks that you are trying to get a tire on?

How about for the rear?

Chris
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

with a stubby, you can approach a rock or obstacle and get that much closer to your tire before contacting any part of the body. stubbies also allow for body damage where a mid or full width will protect a bit more.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I had a full-width ARB bull bar that fully covered the clip of my TJ and even with 35s and a 4" lift my bumper would hit obstacles before I could start climbing them. The next bumper was a poison spyder stubby and stinger and that had a far better approach angle while protecting the hood and winch from debris. When I started wheeling my JKU I soon replaced the factory bumper with the mid-width Hard Rock, which was in 08 and the bumper has held up to a lot of abuse with only the need for paint aside for my winch mishap I mentioned before. I can not say enough good about that company or product. Im also a big fan of the poison spyder produts but when I bought my last bumper they only offered bare steel and I wanted powder coated.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm with a stubby, you can approach a rock or obstacle and get that much closer to your tire before contacting any part of the body. stubbies also allow for body damage where a mid or full width will protect a bit more.
I should have been more clear, the advantages of the stubby on the front is pretty clear.

I am trying to figure out the pros/cons for the rear. It looks like if you go with flat fenders the full-width bumper does not look as good?

I know I brushed my stock rear bumper at the last outing. I think the wider bumper probably protects quite a bit of the rear body panels.

Chris
bangel2209
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017

Unread post by bangel2209 »

Thanks eveyone for all the advise. I am thinking of the poison spider.
Any input on winches??