Bumper recommendations

BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Bumper recommendations

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

ChrisL wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:48 am
BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm with a stubby, you can approach a rock or obstacle and get that much closer to your tire before contacting any part of the body. stubbies also allow for body damage where a mid or full width will protect a bit more.
I should have been more clear, the advantages of the stubby on the front is pretty clear.

I am trying to figure out the pros/cons for the rear. It looks like if you go with flat fenders the full-width bumper does not look as good?

I know I brushed my stock rear bumper at the last outing. I think the wider bumper probably protects quite a bit of the rear body panels.

Chris
Definitely get a rear bumper at least the width of your sheet metal. That bodywork wouldn't be cheap. Fenders are "easy" to replace.
bangel2209 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:37 pm Thanks eveyone for all the advise. I am thinking of the poison spider.
Any input on winches??
Start a new thread for that one. ;)
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I watched what everyone else bought . What worked , what had interference . Then built my own , and added to them IE swing away tire carrier. Stop for swing away tire carrier. The tow points are through the bumper not just welded to the face. I dont have all the fancy angles that most of you pay for , But its thicker material , and dont get in my way when approaching something or leaving. The diff skid in my mind are a waist of clearance. Ever see a Dozer blade or excavator bucket with a pattern welded on it. Its called hard facing . I had to reshape the aftermarket covers and the diff housing so the bottom bolt would have a Whole hole to keep it from leaking. Its the cheapest way to protect your diff and covers. There is an answer BnBish . If you use it you will loose it. I can fix that ! FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Was considering a Poison Spyder before going with the EVO one. Decided EVO because I wanted to put the winch down between the frame rails, not put it on top like the Poison Spyders did (at the time, not sure if that's changed).
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

New ones do
Attachments
02993D6F-322F-4C38-8197-2234418E3C63.jpeg
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

RandyCarol wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:25 pmNew ones do
Nice...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BRWhelan
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by BRWhelan »

I’ve had good luck with Smittybilt bumpers. They are seen as kind of the middle of the road product, which is fine with me. They’ve held up well over the past few years and haven’t had to spray them with new coat yet, though the front is coming up on it due to a few rock and tree scrubs. I would recommend their products if you don’t want to spend too much for one of the “premium” brands.

Also I have a full width bumper right now, but it’s the Smittybilt M.O.D. so I can take the ends of if I want a stubby or replace them with a mid setup if I prefer.