Making the best of the virus...

You can talk about anything here
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Making the best of the virus...

Unread post by Frank »

There was one guy that came to FnF with what looked like this size bus . But a full length bus chassis with the Jeep behind it on a deck. Buses are mostly riveted . Maybe took the round back part and moved it forward. Looked cool. FjR68
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Yeah a couple are being built right now in another club. I am not a fan of a dedicated vehicle.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

MDSRACING398 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 am Yeah a couple are being built right now in another club. I am not a fan of a dedicated vehicle.
Thats been my thought. I've been thinking for a long time about how I want to do the tow/camp thing. I'm leaning right now to just fitting out the tow rig with more of an "overland" setup that can be installed in a few hours for a camp trip, but removed for daily use. On the otherhand, i want to get a small commercial truck and fit a custom flatbed for parking the jeep on. For now, i'll just keep the jeep street legal and tow it when it makes sense.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
JGav4
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by JGav4 »

Hey all - I can't wait to see all these builds in person, some good stuff.
I have clicked off a few projects that were on the never ending Jeep list this winter. Installed new Metal Cloak fenders, rockers and skin. Also added a new rear bumper, after much complaining from the tailgate carrying that larger tire around.

See everyone on the trails soon
Be safe and stay healthy
Jim
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG
IMG_2370.JPG
IMG_2476.JPG
Jim

Island girl and a pirate flag
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Oh hey, we still need to seal those fenders up
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Lisah311
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Unread post by Lisah311 »

Jim, it looks great!
2005 Rubicon
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am Hank: Hows the lift install going, done yet?
It is now, just got it back from the alignment.

Did brakes/rotors on all 4 corners, both driveshafts, and the 3.5" Game Changer... if you don't count the parts store runs, and the time spent doing a million other things, probably right around your 24h mark. I really need a garage and a lift. :lol:

New exhaust will be here Monday.
2020-05-30 12.50.53.jpg
-- Hank
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Hank wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:14 pm
BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am Hank: Hows the lift install going, done yet?
It is now, just got it back from the alignment.

Did brakes/rotors on all 4 corners, both driveshafts, and the 3.5" Game Changer... if you don't count the parts store runs, and the time spent doing a million other things, probably right around your 24h mark. I really need a garage and a lift. :lol:
Nice work!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

Late to the party but... been very busy keeping myself occupied all this time.

1. New exhaust (easiest mod ever!)
Magnaflow rock crawler series. Sounded loud at first but wife approves so I guess it actually sounds pretty good. I

2. Brakes (again), back to solid rotors, (avoid drilled/slotted), lesson learned. New pads broken in and I can trigger ABS easily now when I stand on the brake. Stops very quickly (a light 2 door).

3. New steering! Metalcloak HD. My old tie rod had a few extra bends in it than when I bought it. Chromoly tie rod and nice adjustable drag link (not the corroded mess I had before).

4. Ball joints! This was a fun learning experience. You want the XL or "Large" ball joint press. Trust me. Teraflex HD greasable upper and lower.

For extra caution I went ahead and replaced the front hubs (106k). They were gross and beginning to rust, and after comparing old and new, I noticed one was likely beginning to fail!

Btw: I want to punch the person who decided the very difficult plactic clip for the ABS cable should be directly behind the shock tower and mere inches from the exhaust. If you have aftermarket inner fenders, well lucky you! Do it from underneath, but I hope you have long arms. I wish I had a lift.

5. New front axle shafts! Yep, I pulled them due to the diff issue (see below) and sure enough, the splines are a wee bit twisted. Not horribly but I know this means "REPLACE". Now I have a decent trail spare 27 spline front set. Replacements are RCV with outer axle seals as well.

Sidenote: Did you know you may likely have dirt or even MUD inside your axle tube? Oil seal on inside, nothing on outside Yeah, eww. Fixed that!

6. New front lower control arms. I'm now at 50% of a gamechanger.

7. Bumper. I liked the barricade I got from the BBQ. The price was right but I didn't feel confident. Also I accidentally changed the studs from SAE to Metric with my impact. They are welded in. Replacement: Metalcloak. Two words: WORTH IT.

8? Finally, the Jeep is back at Off-road Elements right now. I took a look at the front diff only to discover contact wear between the locker and pinion. Spec is for .5mm min clearance which seems scary tight to me. Apparently want enough. I might want to beef upy axle next year, was probably just a little flex that did it. Nothing destroyed, just some surface scrapes.

Offroad Elements is fully warrantying the repair work. They pulled it apart, resurfaced the pinion gear face according to the ARB bulletin and put it all back together for no charge.

Eric is an awesome guy and they are just as busy as always. Can't recommend this place enough, but for me it's just for the very sensitive stuff that can fail catastrophically. (Gears!)

Finally... there will be a winch in that new bumper. I am ready to graduate to big boy trails (F&F!), Just GREENS for now 😃

I'm obviously very eager to get back out there and take my skills to the next level this year but new baby says otherwise (and I'm good with that). I'm thinking by mid-July I should be able to get away for a full day.

Keep on wrenching!

If anyone wants to come by Norwood to work on Jeep stuff, I have the space both inside and driveway to accommodate and I'd love to help with other's projects. I just can't travel too far right now. (Have tools, can't travel, lol)
2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

(Photo: at one point midway through repairs, looks like a Jeep skeleton)
IMG_20200425_171449.jpg
Oh! Also I got all the skids, pulled, sanded primed and painted. Dropped the gas tank and hit every single pocket of rust anywhere I could reach and hit it with corroseal, black enamel, then the whole frame got a nice coating of fluid film. (I want hand this one down to my son some day, if he wants it)

Bring it on!
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

WeekendWrangler wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:58 pm 1. New exhaust (easiest mod ever!)
Magnaflow rock crawler series. Sounded loud at first but wife approves so I guess it actually sounds pretty good. I

2. Brakes (again), back to solid rotors, (avoid drilled/slotted), lesson learned. New pads broken in and I can trigger ABS easily now when I stand on the brake. Stops very quickly (a light 2 door).
I also did an exhaust on Hammerhand. Went with the Woods exhaust from Dominion. Love it. A little throatier when you're on it, but basically as quiet as stock the rest of the time. Got the muffler tucked up where the evap canister was now, and the tailpipe should be a lot safer up over the swaybar than it was. I guess time will tell.

As for brakes: Nothing we do should warrant drilled/slotted rotors. That's just begging for cracks. What did you go with for pads? I always had luck with EBC's in all my racecars, so I pulled their Extra Duty truck/SUV pads for this job, stop nice, feel solid. No fade on the last class VI run, which was nice. We'll see how the hold up. I also spent a couple extra dollars and installed speedbleeders on all 4 calipers (another thing I always had on the toys) and fully flushed the system.

Sounds like Metro West has been pretty busy on the Jeeps. :)
-- Hank
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Powerstop seem to work great for me. Ceramic metal whatever?