MaxAir

You can talk about anything here
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

MaxAir

Unread post by Frank »

Asking for help with onboard air compressor . Its gotta be ten yrs old and Ive called the # in the owners book. Its expired ! Its a MaxAir 4.0 Its says on the front cover Part No. "MX402" Last year it filled the tank and never ran again . I got around to pulling the drivers seat to get to it and heres what I found. Under the hood is the relay from the fused switched power . It has power and functions . Under a bracket on the top of the compressor is a circuit breaker . Wired around that , it works . (The Pump) The book of course says not to operate without it . They have the power cable going to the curcuit breaker to ground ? I can send the only wire diagram I have to your phone . I dont know how to put it here for all to see. I cant find the Co. online and I dont actually have a part number for it anyway . So is it okay in your guess to use it with out it. The switch is fused , then it has a relay , then to the pump. I would think going from power to circuit breaker , to ground is just guarding against over amp protection ? Thanks , "Monas Daddy"
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: MaxAir

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

an obvious question, but did you check and clean the ground cable on both ends of the wire?
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

I'm guessing that's providing thermal overload protection? If we can figure out who made that part you can probably find an equivalent replacement.

BTW, if you use "full editor" option, you can attach files this way:
attach2.jpg
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

What is the circuit breaker rated for, could you instead replace it with an appropriate inline fuse. It's just protection for the compressor.
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

I made you a video, Frank!

[youtube]d-eIfUlQLpU[/youtube]
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It is a reset-able type circuit breaker . It no longer functions . By passed the compressor works by switch as it should . Im going to find an inline from a boat (weather rated) on the spec sheet it says 30 amps @ 35 psi and 40 amps at 150 . I used a safety psi switch in the tank shutting off the compressor at 135 and comes on at 110 . So Im guessing a 40 amp maxi fuse would be okay. I think the 30 would be minimum . Thanks for the help . FjR68