Planned Upgrades to my 2012 JKU Rubicon

RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Planned Upgrades to my 2012 JKU Rubicon

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Looks great, like the wheels. The MCE fenders should give you a couple inches clearence
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ChrisL
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by ChrisL »

RandyCarol wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:18 pm Looks great, like the wheels. The MCE fenders should give you a couple inches clearence
Thanks Randy, just ordered the fenders.

Hopefully, my rock rails come next week. Not holding my breath.

Chris
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Cool. You got the regular ones? I’d like to check them out, I want to get those for Carols Jeep. You’ll have an all new Jeep by the time you get out wheeling.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

RandyCarol wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 pm Cool. You got the regular ones? I’d like to check them out, I want to get those for Carols Jeep. You’ll have an all new Jeep by the time you get out wheeling.
Yeah, I bought the standard (OE) width ones, the guys at MCE said they are slightly narrower than stock. I'll post some photos once I get them.

You guys helped me a lot build what I think is the minimum jeep (or the maximum without getting really crazy) for my family to enjoy the trails. We had a great time, but the tube steps were trashed and I got hung up way more times then I found enjoyable. I think the combo of the skid plates, bigger tires and Shrock sliders will make those greens and blues a ton more enjoyable.

The boys down at ShrockWorks certainly take their time so I am not convinced that I will make the Harris Mountain trip. We will definitely be at the next one, I picked up a couple of the Baofeng radios and they are already programmed thanks to this forum. Does anyone do Class VI runs in between?

Forgot to say the Maxxis RAZRs are incredible on-road anyway. Super quiet and good road feel, much quieter than my BFG Muds which are pretty new too. They measure 34" at 30 PSI which I am not sure if that is small for a 35" tire. I have not measured the unloaded width yet.

Chris
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

I know you guys are probably getting bored of the updates, but I installed the MCE fenders and EVAP skid yesterday.

I really like the Poison Spider EVAP skid, removing the clips on the hoses was very challenging. There must be a factory tool that pushes both sides of the clip at the same time because if you release one side without the other, it just locks. I feel like having that skid there will protect the driveshaft and exhaust resonator.
IMG_3620.jpeg

I like the fenders, I found the front fenders easier to install than the rear. I chose the OE width fenders that are probably 1/2" narrower in the rear and at the widest point probably a little wider than the stock front fenders. The front fit is perfect, the rear fit could be better, they are a little too narrow in the opening.
IMG_3618.jpeg
Pro-tip:

1. I did not like the look of the bare metal in the wheel well since my jeep is silver so I reinstalled the inner liners both front and rear. Make sure you scribe a line (I used a silver paint pen) before you install the new fenders. The front fender has a lip that the liner fits behind for a secure fit.

2. You will find the front liners have huge holes in them. I cut 1.5" square "washers" out of the scrap liner to allow me to use the stock bolts to hold the liner in place in the front.

3. A thin (1/16") metal cutting wheel in an angle grinder does a REALLY good job of trimming the liner. I thought it would just melt and make a mess, but it worked great. A little bit of sandpaper removed the left over swarf.
IMG_3613.jpeg
This is what the rear wheel well liner looks like once it is trimmed.
IMG_3615.jpeg
IMG_3616.jpeg
Going on the 10th week of waiting for my ShrockWorks sliders, not happy.

Chris