Planned Upgrades to my 2012 JKU Rubicon

RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Planned Upgrades to my 2012 JKU Rubicon

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Never seen them at that price. I’d go at least regular width, you don’t want a problem during inspection
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Nice job on the Diff Covers :)
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ChrisL
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by ChrisL »

BlackKnight wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm Nice job on the Diff Covers :)
God I hate the smell of gear oil.

As others have said, the fill plug is at the right level on the rear D44 but is around 3/4" too high on the front Dana 44.
IMG_3538.jpeg
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Gear oil is in its own class when it comes to smell. Wait till its hot and used. What makes you think the front plug is to high ? Most aftermarket covers add to the total volume . That is a plus for keeping things cooler and lubed. In the event you lift your Jeep for real , and you correct the pinion angle , Its also gonna help that . Fill to spill is a Title you should get to know. If you look at your springs , they make a wedge plate that will make the spring sit flat again before they take on this curve for evah ! FYI FjR68
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Frank wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 am Gear oil is in its own class when it comes to smell. Wait till its hot and used. What makes you think the front plug is to high ? Most aftermarket covers add to the total volume . That is a plus for keeping things cooler and lubed. In the event you lift your Jeep for real , and you correct the pinion angle , Its also gonna help that . Fill to spill is a Title you should get to know. If you look at your springs , they make a wedge plate that will make the spring sit flat again before they take on this curve for evah ! FYI FjR68
My keen observation skills had me realize the holes are in different spots front and rear. :handgestures-thumbupright:
IMG_3548.jpeg
Good call on the springs, I was noticing that as I have been underneath the jeep.

Chris
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I don’t know of a wedge plate for the JK springs, it’s not really anything to be concerned about
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Fill till bottom of tubes. Drain plugs don't mean nada where they are. If you lift jeep and roll pinion up the drain plug is not enough oil.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

MDSRACING398 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:07 pm Fill till bottom of tubes. Drain plugs don't mean nada where they are. If you lift jeep and roll pinion up the drain plug is not enough oil.
That is Interesting that the proper fill level is to the bottom of the tubes, makes sense.

How do I fill above the fill hole if I have to? An incline?

Chris
MDSRACING398

I am sure be fine as is. Some axle have fill plug.
Semper Fi
MDSRACING398

I have filled thru vent. Worse that happens if overfill is you undercoat your jeep and the car behind you.
Semper Fi
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large

Unread post by KenCal »

Your making a bigger deal about this than you need to. Fill to bottom of fill hole or until gear oil starts to drip out and your done.
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

KenCal wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:47 pm Your making a bigger deal about this than you need to. Fill to bottom of fill hole or until gear oil starts to drip out and your done.
Just online musing. I filled the volume that the manual stated which coincides with the oil dripping out of the fill hole.

Where is the breather hose on a Dana 44?

Chris
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Will be on an axle tube near the diff or it will be on the diff itself . Mine all run to the engine bay with cheap gas filter on the end of the hose hangind in the downward position . Front and rear diif and the T-case have breathers . Now they are above water. FjR68
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

JK breathers are very easy to extend. I have mine up to the engine bay and up behind be passenger tail light ( nice and protected)
Chrome? Never heard of it.
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Alright, the wheels and tires showed up yesterday.

Gratuitous shot, the tires measure 34" tall with 30 PSI in the tire. I already used jscan to change the tire size and lower the TPMS value to 28. There is no problem with acceleration or cruising up hills with the 3.6l engine, 5 speed automatic and 3.73 gears. I will post further comments once I get it on the highway.

This tire/rim package weights 103 pounds where the stock tire/rim combo with BFG MTs was 73 pounds.
IMG_3573.jpeg
First the good news, no interference with the rear body
IMG_3567.jpeg
Now the bad news. I was not at full articulation and I will certainly remove the front fender if I turn the wheel.

It looks like I need to add 1" to both the front and the back bump stops, maybe more.

What should I do here? Would just the MCE fenders fix my clearance issues? Do I need extended bump stops as well?

I don't have a photo, but some of the tread is visible outside of the fender, are there any fenders that provide full tread coverage? I need around another 1" over the stock fenders.
IMG_3568.jpeg
IMG_3569.jpeg
IMG_3570.jpeg
Amazing how much more articulation there is when your sway bar actually disconnects!
IMG_3572.jpeg