Rocker steps on or off?

You can talk about anything here
mikepa
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Rocker steps on or off?

Unread post by mikepa »

Morning folks. Newbie here looking for advise to maximize protection and minimize parts removal before or during my first "try before you buy" trail run in just over a week.

As part of my JLUR build, I purchased rock rails from MetalCloak which come with steps that can be installed three ways: 1. Pointing straight out, 2. Pointing down and 3. Off

Rock rails themselves are 11GA steel and body (not frame) mounted using three bolts under the tub and nine bolts along the pinch seam. The steps are made from the same 11GA, including a tubular bar and when installed, reduce vertical clearance under the doors from 21" to 19" at the rails' lowest points. Pointed down, the steps extend horizontally 3.5" from the rails' sides. Pointed straight out, they extend 4" from the sides and do not reduce vertical clearance.

So....given this is my first run and am looking to ease into this sport at a resonable [responsible?] pace, what is the consensus on which step position to use to protect the sides of the rig or and/or give maximum vertical clearance?

Thanks ahead of time.

mikep
Attachments
IMG_1207.jpg
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2.5" MC GameChanger, 37" Toyo MTs,
MC skids/rock rails, PowerTank CO2 air, front trail camera
and one wicked cool, push button retractable soft top
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Rocker steps on or off?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Personally I would go strait out or up. Those things take a beating. Going out will keep the obstacle further away from your doors, mirrors and fenders. Some of these trails are tight, especially for a 4 door, and those trees can reach out and get ‘ya
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Lisah311
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

As far up as they’ll go, which looks like they go straight out.

“Flip step and rocker kit” looks solid.
Can’t go wrong with metal cloak!
2005 Rubicon
MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

Those look good! Can't be any worse that my initial choice of tube steps . . .

http://baystatejeepers.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=5899
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I was leaning towards flipping them so they are straight out. to maintain the protection.

This brings me to another burning newbie question, which may already be answered in this forum: What trail rating(s) are we talking about when it comes to post-spring meeting trail runs? Call me gun shy [and I am sure you all have seen news come and go] but I would prefer to "take it easy" on my first run. By no means am I fitting my JLUR out to be a mallcrawler. Plenty of packages delivered this winter from MetalCloak as you can see below. Avoiding rookie damage, however, is best achieved by taking it one step at a time. Especially if I am to justify more investment. Or am I missing something? School me.

Thanks again.

mikep

EDIT: Not sure why that photo is upside down. Sorry.
Attachments
IMG_0957.jpg
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Saw a few JL’s out there last year, they get through it fine. It’s subjective, so it’s hard to say what your comfort level would be. You’ll make it through. Your undercarriage will get scratched, you don’t see a lot of damage otherwise except an occasional wacked mirror or scuffed hardtop, but there is always a chance. I feel it’s a good opportunity because it will be a shorter day out there due to it starting later after the meeting.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

Thanks Randy. I'm totally on board that undercarriage will never look as good as is does now. And while most of my offroading has been rocky/muddy logging roads in VT woods and sandy Monomoy beaches with my LR4, I am hoping not to face a level 7 trail on my first JL run. Looking forward to learning and eventually getting there, however.

Thanks again.

mikep