Spring Wrenchfest?

Public Events, Meets, Get Togethers, Etc....
Jonas
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Spring Wrenchfest?

Unread post by Jonas »

BlackKnight wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:10 pm
Car Jack wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:01 pm If I'm able to make it, I could pull the carpet up and point to where I'm tapped in for lic plate and 3rd brake light.
The instructions I have from Poison Spyder have the wiring following the rear gate, following the current wiring and into the opening for the rear passenger light housing. But any help is welcome.
I installed one of those Poison Spyder third brake/license plate lights about 1.5 years ago, and two of the for LEDs for the license plate light are no longer working. Make sure you splice it in so it can be easily replaced if you need to.

Jonas
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Will do, Thanks for that incite, I'll have to keep an eye on it...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Why wouldnt you just use weather tight push connectors right at the plate ? You have to change it , you unplug it . Done FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Frank wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am Why wouldnt you just use weather tight push connectors right at the plate ? You have to change it , you unplug it . Done FjR68
There is extra wiring required, not only does it operate as the third brake light (which as you said, I could just use the existing wiring at the tailgate), but it needs constant power when the lights are on to operate the plate light.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Bob They want you to splice into the factory harness , I get it. If you pull the light you will see the harness . There will be three wires . One is a ground , everything electrical has to have one . In the Jeep , in your house . Ya have to have a ground. One wire will be your tail lights . which is , as you said constant power . The last wire is the turn signal AND brake light ! No matter where you hook them up , just use weather rated push connectors so if you have to change a bulb you can just unplug it. Look at the swing away tire carrier on Mona. There are spot lights that have switched power . It runs down the carrier then back under the body. At each light are push connectors because its cheaper to get a new light than by a replacement bulb. Its basic wiring Dude . Its a ten minute job on the side of any road. I know you have GOOGLE. The only tool to do this job would be a continuity tester for which wire is which power source . A wire cutter and crimp and the connectors Good luck Dude
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

@Frank, It's just me being a bit worried about cutting into anything on my Daily Driver. Just paranoia ... :)

For the OEM 3rd brake I believe only 2 wires are there
Ground
Brake (Switched connection only while the brake is connected)

Beyond that the license plate light (part of the relocation) needs both of those as it replaces the 3rd brake light, but also needs a wire (Switched on while lights are on)) for the license plate.

My brain says the tail light has 4 wires,
Ground
Taillight (Constant while lights are on)
Brake (Switched while brake is on)
Backup (Switched while in reverse).

All the instructions I've found for relocation to the spare tire mount have the wiring for the 3rd wire needed going to the passenger taillight to splice into the tail light wire there.

That is unless the tail only has 3 wires and somehow the taillight and brake light are on the same wire and it just sends extra power, or some signal to brighten. Not sure how that would work if it did...
--
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Here is the back of the poison Spyder package.
--
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Looks pretty straight forward
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

JeepAddict wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:03 pm Looks pretty straight forward
The only thing with the Poison Spyder relocation bracket, they refuse to give instructions unless you also buy their tail lights. so you have to figure out which wires are the ones you need from the OEM tail light plugs (I Already have Ridgid Rail lights installed)...
--
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Do you just need the wire colors? I have those written down
Blue Yeti
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Unread post by Blue Yeti »

3 wires, 3 colors. I think you are over complicating things.
Pretty basic.
Google it and you should find a vid on it. Sun & Mon are gonna be nice days. You can do it in driveway in 10 - 15 mins.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

White with a yellow stripe = Brake/Turn White with a purple stripe = Running White with a green stripe = Back up lights
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Dude Hes already shitting a brick . Please correct your post with spaces , commas, or hyphens :) Bob , as you can see its wicked easy . Your not the only one with a daily driver. It wont stop running if you cut the wrong wire on the tail light . The dude gave you the color code of the wires that you need to splice . If the colors had brail ---- a blind guy could do it. Give it a shot , you wont be sorry FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Thanks guys...
--
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

No problem Bob, you got this....