Air comp. upgrade

JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Air comp. upgrade

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I am going to be upgrading my current compressor ( Viair 400). I am going between a 15lb Powertank (Yes I have found a place that will definitely fill it locally) and an ARB OBA Twin. I like the speed and portability of the Powertank BUT the speed of the ARB is really nice and the air is unlimited. Hardwiring and location is not an issue for the compressor. Location for the tank is not an issue either. Powertank says I can do 6 fills on my 35s with a full tank. My plan would be to top it off after 4-5 uses ( leaving a buffer). I do not plan to mount a storage tank underneath ( because we are in New England) or in the back ( because it takes up too much space).

I have been doing a number of upgrades over the winter and am in the home stretch. Feedback is appreciated.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Air comp. upgrade

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I considered the power tank but for me it would have been hard to find the time to fill it, even a local place. I usually end up helping others air up so I would have needed to fill the bottle more often.
I am currently gathering parts to install into Carols Jeep. Decided to go with all ARB components. The duel compressor and 1 gallon tank will all fit nicely under the passenger seat. I mounted mine under my Jeep, it’s been fine but I don’t like where it’s at. Here is a pic of how it all mounts:
Attachments
F088DB39-BEC9-4524-9FDA-41E872AAB964.jpeg
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Thanks Randy. I know if you're going that route then you've definitely done your homework. I dont recall seeing a 1 gal tank as park of a package. I'll go back and look. I do like the idea of being able to help others air up still....
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

I researched all the mounts, ruled out under the hood, too much clutter (for me) and will prevent the larger booster/master cylinder if I ever decide to add it to her Jeep. It’s ARB’s mount, designed to mount the tank on. The ARB tank is pricy for what it is, I found another for 1/3 the price that may work just as good. If you decide to go that route let me know, I’ll get you part numbers
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

have you considered hard wiring your VAIAR to fill a hard-mounted portable tank and filling the tires form the tank while the pump is running? that is somewhat the plan I have. JP magazine did a write up with another pump and an affordable 5-gallon tank from Harbor Freight... considerably cheaper than going with a completely new setup... just a thought...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

I had considered it initially but, I dont want to commit that much space to a tank either in the back or underneath. I am open to ideas however....
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I use a "Max-Air system and my 5 gal tank is inside on the left side fender well. A pump can be hooked up to operate just the line (no tank) . Some people have run a rubber hard line to the front and back of the Jeep so all you see is the QD stickin out. Id suggest a inline PSI switch so if you not using air it will shut the pump off. FjR68
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

I've got my twin under the passenger seat, and have 0 complaints with it in that location. I used a kit from https://www.innovativejkproducts.com/ and air up all 4 tires at once. Works trick, all 4 tires get the same air, and it's pretty dang fast. Also, unless you really know what you're looking for, even with the doors off, it doesn't look like anything. I don't have a tank on my kit, haven't seen the need as of yet. I've got e-lockers so YMMV. I do know that they make a kit to run lockers and air up, if I wind up changing out axles, I may just upgrade my kit... but that's a long ways out.

I looked at the powertanks, and couldn't justify the time/expense of filling the tank 2-3x every season, and where i like to beach it down in NC a couple times a year, didn't want the hassle of trying to find somewhere to fill it away from home.
-- Hank
Hoodoo Man

Hank, I found the ARB pump LOUD as heck when it was under the hood in my TJ. How bad is it inside the vehicle when you turn the lockers on?

I know it's just a second or two but its a bit loud at least the single pump was...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Hoodoo Man wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am Hank, I found the ARB pump LOUD as heck when it was under the hood in my TJ. How bad is it inside the vehicle when you turn the lockers on?

I know it's just a second or two but its a bit loud at least the single pump was...
I don’t find mine obnoxiously loud under the passenger seat, the seat and my wife insulate it pretty good. I have a tank, so once that charges I’m usually good for the day with my ARB’s. Occasionally it will kick on for 10 seconds to recharge it half way through the day.
Hoodoo Man

RandyCarol wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am
Hoodoo Man wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am Hank, I found the ARB pump LOUD as heck when it was under the hood in my TJ. How bad is it inside the vehicle when you turn the lockers on?

I don’t find mine obnoxiously loud under the passenger seat, the seat and my wife insulate it pretty good. I have a tank, so once that charges I’m usually good for the day with my ARB’s. Occasionally it will kick on for 10 seconds to recharge it half way through the day.
:lol: :lol:
1970 Jeepster- stock
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Hey Randy, I like that setup, but I can't see any drain valve on the tank. What do you do about the condensation in the tank?
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

BlackKnight wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:56 pm Hey Randy, I like that setup, but I can't see any drain valve on the tank. What do you do about the condensation in the tank?
I thought about that, you couldn’t get to it very easy the way it’s mounted. The coupler is close to the tank so I’m hoping most of it blows out. The tank is aluminum so there shouldn’t be a rust issue. Another option is to drill a pin hole in the low spot, and let the water bleed with the air when I shut the pump off. It’s only used for filling tires so I don’t have to store air.
This other tank has the drain and is 1/3 the price:
Attachments
719D811A-8A6B-4257-9758-25A91235F324.jpeg
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Just a thought on the extra tank, why not make it removable for when you dont need all the air? When I did my system I have a 3gal tank in the back which is connected with a QD for removal. It still allows me to use the air system as is or have larger storage for filling tires and the like. Just a thought if you dont want to spend a ton of cash. Yes removable means a bit of work to ensure that it is either mounted or tied down, ratcheted down in my case, but in my origional plan it was to make the jeep drivable and still be a 4 seater.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

I've got e-lockers, so it's dead silent when I turn them on ;)
It's not too bad under the passenger seat, I'm usually out of the Jeep when filling the tires, but on colder/rainy/generally BS days I'll sit inside while it's going, and it's not terrible. For something like lockers, I imagine it'd only be a couple seconds to get the system back up to pressure and kick back off again. With all the other noises, I'm sure you'd notice it, but probably not enough to bother you.
-- Hank