Air comp. upgrade

RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Air comp. upgrade

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I installed the above ARB system over the weekend, it’s a nice fit under the seat. Not sure if that viair tank I mentioned will fit, the ARB tank was tight all around. To answer the question about the tank drain, even if there was one you would never get to it. When I’m done airing up I’ll just purge the tank and hope most of the moisture blows out. Didn’t take many photos but here is one showing where the coupler and switch is:
Attachments
3F2A25D4-C536-4589-BC12-0A8ECECF5F52.jpeg
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

Hoodoo Man wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 pm have you considered hard wiring your VAIAR to fill a hard-mounted portable tank and filling the tires form the tank while the pump is running? that is somewhat the plan I have. JP magazine did a write up with another pump and an affordable 5-gallon tank from Harbor Freight... considerably cheaper than going with a completely new setup... just a thought...
I tried that once with my setup (ARB dual plus 2.5 gallon tank) and found it to be pointless. The pump fills the tank to pressure, you connect it to a tire and the pressure equalizes, then the pump runs until both the tank and tire reach your desired pressure. In the few seconds it takes to get to the next tire the pump continues to run adding a bit of pressure to the tank which immediately equalizes when you connect it to the tire and you wait for the pump to fill both to pressure again. Repeat 2 more times. Basically, not only do you fill 4 tires, you also fill your tank. In the end, it takes more time to do it that way than to just fill it direct from the pump. And you now have a tank full of air you need to empty. It might come in handy if I'm filling multiple vehicles with air (more down time in between that the pump can use to store air in the tank) but otherwise not worth it for only 4 tires. My tank was intended to give me the ability to use air tools as needed. I have electric lockers so no need for a tank there, either.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I find after wheelin , with the tank full to begin with . The first tire from 5/6 lbs to 28 is under a minute. True the pump starts but Im still way above tire psi so the second and third tire are around 80/90 sec. The last tire is about over 2 min as the tank is in the 28/30 psi range. I have a 5 gal. tank if that makes a difference . My max- air pump was advertised moons ago to be the fastest offered , at 4.0 CFM pump. Dont know how that compares today but Its all of 10 yrs. old and works well and can run any tool you got. I have it shut off at 130PSI . It can do 150 FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

If the tank is already full, that makes a difference. Also, the volume of a 5 gallon will help as well (again, since it's already full.) For me, it starts empty so I'm really just pushing air through a big tank rather than a skinny hose so I have to fill the volume of the tire plus the tank to pressure before moving on. The first tire takes a long time.
2014-19 Vice President
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Install looks Awsome...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Marky . I usually turn the comp on on the way out / off the trail so its full when your ready to do bidness . FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

Frank wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am Marky . I usually turn the comp on on the way out / off the trail so its full when your ready to do bidness . FjR68
Makes sense. My setup requires me to intentionally connect the tank to the pump, there's not enough advantage for me to change that. If I had installed it differently, I would consider doing that.
2014-19 Vice President
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Marky, you have yours mounted in the back storage compartment right?
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

Yes. Perfect size for the pump, hose and nozzle. Only downside is having to move stuff to get to it, but it's not a big issue. My tank is built into the storage box just behind the hatch.
2014-19 Vice President
ChrisL
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by ChrisL »

Almost *any* fire extinguisher service company will fill your own CO2 bottles for you. I figured this out during my time as a homebrewer. ASAP fire in Tyngsboro will fill bottles for a $1 a pound while you wait. There is also a small shop in Acton that does it as well.

Additionally, you can buy a 20-pound liquid CO2 bottle and fill the bottle yourself. I used 2.5 and 5-pound tanks in my brewery and fill them off of a 20-pound liquid tank.

CO2 is corrosive and the cylinders have to be reinspected every 5 years. It costs around $20 and there is a date code stamped on the cylinder.

Chris