New member - Dino in Marshfield

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Dino99TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

New member - Dino in Marshfield

Unread post by Dino99TJ »

Hey Everyone,

I recently joined the forum. I hope to also join Baystate Jeepers when new membership opens as well.

I have a 1999 Wrangler (TJ) Sahara that my sister originally bought the Jeep new when she graduated college. Ownership of the Jeep has been between my sister, my father, and I.

For the last five years my dad only drove the Jeep to his office and his local ski area. In 2017, he parked the Jeep in his garage after the Jeep failed NH state inspection for the frame rot. My dad didn’t have interest in fixing the Jeep, so I moved it to my garage in the Spring of 2019. I was able to register, insure and get a MA state inspection sticker.

The Jeep has sentimental value to me, and I want to repair it. My plan with the Jeep is to first deal with the frame rot. I’m unsure if the Jeep needs a complete frame replacement, or if the original frame is still repairable. Once the Jeep with more roadworthy, I hope to use it more as a summer commuter vehicle, light off-roader, and beach cruiser.

If any of you can give recommendations for mechanics on the south shore willing to take on a frame repair, I’d appreciate it.

Thx,
Dino
Jeep in NH.JPG
Attachments
Jeep in Harbor.jpg
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: New member - Dino in Marshfield

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Call Barrette Fabrication they are a little farther than south shore. Warwick RI. But worth the trip. If it can be fixed they will fix it, if not they could replace it. He won't BS you. Ask for Ricky
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

This is the shop number
Screenshot_20200109-151443_Contacts.jpg
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Dino99TJ
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by Dino99TJ »

Thank you. I'll reach out to Barrette Fabrication.

I did also find a couple other shops including New England Carriage in Plympton and South Shore Customs in Plymouth. Has anyone on here worked with those shops? I'm not sure if a question of this nature applies to the Vendor Review forum.

Cheers
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If you are willing to take the jeep north, there is a shop, Steves Jeep Country in Epsom NH that has done a number of frame swaps as well as repair. You could get a second price from him if nothing else.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by MattJ »

In case it is helpful, here are the rust-proofing procedures I used, plus some good advice from others on the topic. So your next frame lasts longer than the first one! :)

https://www.baystatejeepers.com/forum/v ... 4&p=47447&
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Can I assume you have no place to do this job yourself ? Or is it the time or knowledge ? I my honest opinion , I personally wouldnt have a rotted frame repaired as in my experience , the only way to remove (ALL) the rot is to remove the body and components . Most repair shop will use products from a couple Cos. making repair parts. "Safety Cap" is a leader in this dept. If one is going through this , Id just buy a frame from the south and swap it in. From there , with care and making sure to wash it out after every snow/salt storm should last you. There are people who take orders for a new frame as they go south and bring them back. Good luck . FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Frames are always fun...I had mine repaired and had looked into one of the cap systems. In the end it cost the same to have the metal cut out and new thick metal welded in. My plan has always been to wheel and it was done with that in mind. If I was just going to be a driver I might have thought more about the caps but at the same price tag I dont know how I would react. Frame swap was certainly a thought but it didnt fit MY plan for the jeep.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

We have a NEA member that brings them back from the south. Never seen salt ! If your going through that , why wouldnt you just start brand new , persay FjR68
Posimoto
Jeep Year: 1954
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by Posimoto »

Depends on the extent of the frame rot on whether it can be repaired. I've inspected and repaired a few tjs frames unfortunately I can't take on any more work at this time. I would suggest getting a price from your local welding shop depending on their work load (or lack of it) it may be less expensive then a jeep shop. Frame work, I would recommend a certified welder.
Side note: it is unlawful to sell a vehicle with a welded frame without informing the buyer first.