Repaired frame?

You can talk about anything here
tryisforfail
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Repaired frame?

Unread post by tryisforfail »

As I'm getting into my 2nd YJ build I had a guy looking to buy as he was going to flip it. Waste of my time. My frame has been sandblasted and repainted and it's been repaired with steel plates. I don't know if he was trying to scare me into getting rid of it but he said you'll never pass mass state inspection laws. Is this even a thing?
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Repaired frame?

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Can be if inspector is on the ball.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If the plates are thick and the welds look poopy , gives some of them something to hoot about. A friend sprayed the frame with 3M adhesive and threw metal shavings at it . After a couple week it looked rusty like the rest of the frame. Respray and throw sand at it , more paint n sand . You know blend it in ! Youve gotten to your second YJ and you are doin well. FjR68
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I've never heard of a properly repaired frame failing inspection. Not to say it can not or will not happen. My old TJ had several repairs and was still drive-able when I pulled it off the road for a frame swap. In ~10 years nobody blinked at the frame... the lift and lack of swaybars... ;) that got a nod and a wink. Bottom line is if the shop wants to fail you to make money they can for the slightest thing, most places want repeat customers for real repairs and want you to think of them when you need brakes or something and won't be jerks to you if you are not a jerk to them.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You got some biggens Dude , No sway bars is scary FjR68
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Frank wrote:You got some biggens Dude , No sway bars is scary FjR68
I drove it like a boat. Slow wide turns. after a while it was like riding a bike, it came automatically. the PO had removed the rear sway bar for no know reason and after my long arms the front sway bar went away as it no loger fit the space.. I have a Currie Antirock I never installed collecting dust in my basement... :doh:

I think I need to list a few more TJ parts as I have a Banks cold air kit down there, as well as drive shafts and ball joints etc...

:bluesbros:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..