Water leaking?

tryisforfail
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Water leaking?

Unread post by tryisforfail »

Im in the process of rebuilding my 95 YJ

i purchased a under the dash wiring harness and ive bought gauges.

this is in all preparation for the rebuild and to find out whats broken and whats working.

ive been getting alot of water into the front drivers and passenger pans where could the water be coming in as i don't want to ruin another set of gauges and corroding another wiring harness. any ideas?
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Water leaking?

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Heater box?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
tryisforfail

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Heater box?

not sure, every time i go into it after a rain storm ive got a puddle. i know the windshield frames rot out i didn't know if some1 has encountered an underlying problem.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I believe the windshield folds down ? There is a thick fitted rubber gasket in between . My Cj has started doing that when I drive in the rain , not so much sitting. Also , in front of the windshield is the cowl vent . My drain hose runs inside the body and then out into the engine bay. Can you make it happen with a garden hose ? Have a friend spray and you be inside looking at the hard top seal also. FjR68
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

In the TJ there is a rubber vent gasket under the hood on the firewall. These are prone to fill up with debris like pine needles and leaves and cause a leak as you are describing. Maybe look for that in the center of the firewall behind the engine and ensure its cleaned out?

Seems unlikely to be a windshield seal when parked unless the jeep is parked on an incline with water pooling toward the tub.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

In my experience with my YJ's I've run into three things that caused water to leak into the cab.
1) Bad cowl seal. It's the rubber seal between the bottom of the windshield and the dash. Simple to replace.
2) Rusted out windshield frame. Rust caused openings where the rubber glass seal meets the frame. I had to RTV mine up to stop the leaking.
3) The drain hose for the heater air inlet box in the cowl can get clogged up with dirt, pine needles, etc and clog the drain causing water to back up into the heating system and leak into the cab.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
tryisforfail

Awesome thank you everyone!

i guess ill start with the heater inlet box, and i guess work my way back to the frame and rubber seal.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Just pour a bucket of water down that grill in front of the windshield , Youll know FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Gotta love the simple check like Frank mentioned, easy to do and gives you a solid direction, you can even determine what part that Kurt mentioned based on where you pour the water. Personally thou, I would look to that drain line if its been sitting, then try the bucket method.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Frank wrote:Just pour a bucket of water down that grill in front of the windshield , Youll know FjR68
the mechanic used a hose running on full on my old XJ to do this check as well... stupid thing always filled up with moisture and I would need to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield all winter until he solved it... :doh:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I just make sure that hose gets cleaned every winter while shes sleepin. The camping at FnF is where most of it comes from I think , But if I dont clean it , it will flood the inside . Both side but the passenger side is worse . Now I got a water leak almost to the left side of the windshield if I get caught driving in a good rain storm so I figure maybe a new rubbah for Christmas FjR68
tryisforfail

awesome i will be looking into these things when i get a chance! thank you