Lift install

01shucker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Lift install

Unread post by 01shucker »

Hide this is Shane with the red Jeep. I'm looking to install A 4.5" lift kit. It has long arm radius arms in the front. I was wondering if someone had a lift I could use for the day?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Lift install

Unread post by RandyCarol »

What size tires? 4.5” is a lot on a JK
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Shane, I have 3.5". I agree with Randy, 4.5 is a lot especially if its a DD. You climbed right up that ledge as you are, just saying'.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
01shucker
BSJ Member

Ya 4.5 is tall. Trying to get to lift height right. Maybe 4 inch. Been doing a lot of inner fender cutting though. Black Friday sale so I wanted better geometry for driving. Going to be selling my Metalcloak 3.5lift cheep if anyone is interested.
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

what size tire are you running/plannig to run? My JKU has 35s and a 2" lift and I'm happy with the stance but its tall and a bit hard to get in sometimes. You already have a 3.5" how old is the lift kit and did it sag?
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

He is in a 4 door on tons and 37's. With al the armor, couple extra cylinders under the hood and extra bolt ons the Red Rocket I am guessing its already atleast 3.5 if not 4.5. Your wheel backset is what is screwing you. Need bigger bumpstops if want to clear or more backspace. A narrower tire or rim might help too.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
01shucker
BSJ Member

The red rocket lol. Installed a quieter muffler to try and stay out of trouble.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

01shucker wrote:The red rocket lol. Installed a quieter muffler to try and stay out of trouble.
Good choice Shane! I don’t have a loft you can use. If I remember correctly, you had a long “low” JKU, another inch lift isn’t going to hurt anything. Have at it!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Are you in MA or one of the other states? If MA, 4.5 would fail inspection, Max lift on a JKU in MA would be a 4" Unless with all that extra weight with bumpers/skids/8cyl crunches it back down.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Why would 4" be the max to failing ? Is that number just for JKs or every vehicle ? Please enlighten me and help my soninlaw at the same time FjR68
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

BlackKnight wrote:Are you in MA or one of the other states? If MA, 4.5 would fail inspection, Max lift on a JKU in MA would be a 4" Unless with all that extra weight with bumpers/skids/8cyl crunches it back down.
Well if this thing is as big a pig as Mark is saying it won't net 4.5" of lift, the extra armor bumper etc will cause the springs to compress under normal load so it wont be as bad as some JKs with that amount of lift and nothing but a light bar to weigh it down. ;) (said the guy with LED lights and no lockers. :lol: )

It also seems that things have settled down since the cameras went online and I don't see a ton of horror stories about rigs failing as I expected. I'd imagine a rig like this on tons has limit straps and possibly a suck down winch so he could get sneaky and compress things before bringing it in. Not sure most stations would notice the winch line running down to the axle. ;)

:bluesbros:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Got an 06 TJ with 4" and 35s . Soninlaw cant find a place near Turners Falls/ Greenfield area . Every year stock spring and tire for them to even look at it. Pain the family jewel area ! FjR68
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Getting back on topic Shane, when are you looking to do this?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
01shucker
BSJ Member

Probably not until after the toys for tots run. I installed spring spacers already. I was looking to install the correct size springs. I have never installed a full suspension lift. My jack and jackstands recently crapped out on me. I would be willing to compensate someone. Especially if they knew what they were doing.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Frank wrote:Why would 4" be the max to failing ? Is that number just for JKs or every vehicle ? Please enlighten me and help my soninlaw at the same time FjR68
Based on the calculation for the MA lift law, the max lift on a JKU (Stock Sport) is (Track*WheelBase)/2200 which for the Stock Sport calculates to 3.85" with the plus or minus 1" allowed 4.85" would be the MAX allowable mechanical lift...

That said, Body lift does not count toward any lift calculation, and I cannot find anything saying that Tiresize does or does not calculate in. but I can find no reference to changing tire sizes in the MA laws.

For any other Jeep, the calculation is the same, but 2 door models are typically a shorter wheelbase and reduce the height allowed...

Always remember though to remind any inspector, Jeep!=Car (Jeep does not equal a car). Jeeps are "designed and modified for off way use" to quote MA state legalese...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars