Handheld 2-ways

Straxis643
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Handheld 2-ways

Unread post by Straxis643 »

Hey guys, it was mentioned to me to get a good 2 way handheld, I was wondering which brand is good to buy? :confusion-helpsos:
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Handheld 2-ways

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Any FRS is OK, The Club is using BaoFang still available on Amazon -

Then there are the premier brands like https://www.ruggedraceradios.com/

Bob
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

BlackKnight wrote:Any FRS is OK, The Club is using BaoFang still available on Amazon -

Then there are the premier brands like https://www.ruggedraceradios.com/

Bob
Interesting. I thought it was no longer legal to sell these in the US after September 1st or something like that... these are a nice radio and I would jump on getting one while you still can. We only use the FSR function like on walkie talkies but these have a nice feature of doing HAM radio as well as weather band and a AM/FM tuner.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
wrath0r
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by wrath0r »

Hoodoo Man wrote: Interesting. I thought it was no longer legal to sell these in the US after September 1st or something like that... these are a nice radio and I would jump on getting one while you still can. We only use the FSR function like on walkie talkies but these have a nice feature of doing HAM radio as well as weather band and a AM/FM tuner.
I think you're correct. I'm no expert, having only passed my HAM exam yesterday, but my understanding is that the FCC has to put their stamp of approval on any radio that's sold in the states and they don't do that for radios that do both HAM and GMRS/FRS due to maximum transmitter strengths. Of course, you should be able to just restrict your transmitting power on the radio itself. I'm guessing the FCC figures it would be too easy to abuse or something.

Baofang makes great inexpensive radios. If you're looking for competition, Midland is also pretty popular in that range.

Black 2014 JK w/ ~1.5" net lift, 33" BFG KO2s, and well-used armor underneath
Straxis643

Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate it!
Straxis643

There was a link below the Baofang on amazon saying there was a newer version of the one bob linked, should i get the newer version or is the basic one fine? there is a big price difference one is $25, and one is like $65. Sorry for the newb questions, I am just not familiar with radios.
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Basic
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
wrath0r
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by wrath0r »

I took a quick look into the legality issue for the Baofeng radios and, quite frankly, it made my head hurt. Here's the super short version: If it's certified under FCC Part 95, you're good to go. Here's a link if you want to start going down the rabbit hole. Bring tylenol. http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-baof ... rf-devices

That out of the way, the Baofeng is actually a bit more than basic and that's not a bad thing. It's capable of tuning into HAM frequencies, which require a license to transmit on but not to receive on, and FRS, which does not require a license. Since it's the radio that the club uses, you'll have no problem getting someone to show you how to program it appropriately for you, and then it'll be very simple to use - just pick your saved channel and you're off. When you're not wheeling, you can use it to listen to local chatter for extra fun! If you want something that's a bit smaller, and dirt simple / basic, you want something more along the lines of the Midland radios I linked that only work on FRS / GMRS, but personally I think it's fun to be able to listen in on that other stuff. Just make sure whatever you get is FCC Part 95 certified and have fun! :dance:
Last edited by wrath0r on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black 2014 JK w/ ~1.5" net lift, 33" BFG KO2s, and well-used armor underneath
Straxis643

Thanks again guys for all the info!
MDSRACING398

Delete
Last edited by MDSRACING398 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I think the problem is that a "channel" is a specific frequency which is not a regulated thing that everyone necessarily agrees on. Channel 1 on one brand's radio might not be on exactly the same frequency as channel 1 on another brand's radio. It's not like CB. For the most part, they can agree, but there are discrepancies between brands. If you're going for a brand other than Baofeng, you might want to look up the channel to frequency charts for the brand you're looking at vs the Baofeng to ensure compatibility. (BTW, it gets more dicey when you start using privacy codes, which we usually don't.) Also, if you get a "programmable" radio, you should be able to program the channels (frequencies) Baystate uses and then not have to worry about whatever they think FRS5 is supposed to be.

One more thing - if you're buying a programmable radio (which I recommend), get one that is programmable by PC. Navigating the built in menus could be a nightmare. Download Chirp and it's a pretty easy thing once you have the info. There are a few of us with a file we can share. I think there's a thread somewhere else where I shared a standard file. There's also tables, etc. you can use to get all the frequencies and privacy codes.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017

Unread post by Emoto »

One quick thing: If you are on a club run, DO NOT set your radio to "Voice Activated" aka VOX. Instead, set it to "PTT" or "Push to Talk", because what happens with voice activated is you end up transmitting without knowing it, and it clobbers any useful info coming from the run leader or others. Thanks!

-Bob
MDSRACING398

Good stuff! Thanks Bob
Semper Fi
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Emoto wrote:One quick thing: If you are on a club run, DO NOT set your radio to "Voice Activated" aka VOX. Instead, set it to "PTT" or "Push to Talk", because what happens with voice activated is you end up transmitting without knowing it, and it clobbers any useful info coming from the run leader or others. Thanks!

-Bob

Yes. Good point thanks.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
TAB96

Unread post by TAB96 »

I just got the BAOFENG basic, but haven't used it yet. Is there any settings or basic frequencies I should know about before I show up with it on the trails? Thanks.