Lockers & Re-Gearing Help

wrath0r
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Lockers & Re-Gearing Help

Unread post by wrath0r »

One thing you could do is at least see what the Jeep is programmed for. You can use something relatively inexpensive, like the JScan app, to read the current settings. You'll want something like that to change your settings when you do re-gear anyway. What did you use to reset the computer for your new tire size? Of course there's no guarantee that the previous owner used a programmer after re-gearing, but if they did re-gear they probably did the programming part, too.
Black 2014 JK w/ ~1.5" net lift, 33" BFG KO2s, and well-used armor underneath
Blue Yeti

Unread post by Blue Yeti »

When I bought it, I never did anything except drive it. Now with the new tires I should fix the speedometer... its off 7mph.
I will get a flasher and fix when I regear.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

That chart your looking at is averaged out at 70 MPH. You got it with 32 and 3.21s so at 70 you should be near or at 1983 call it 2K.
35s at 70 with 56s get you to 2575 so say a little over 500 more RPM. IN high range is what your looking at here , on the back road or high way. Its only 500 RPMs .
4.88s get you to 2756 again at 70 mph . Which really should be nothing for the engine to handle . That would be on the high way at 70
Now wrap yer head around this. LOW range in your car like most will be 2.6 or 7 to 1 . thats where the engine thinks you fed it steroids for breakfast. Because of that reduction being almost 2&3/4 times your high range , you get to crawl and the engine gets to spin making horse power and you not going fast anywhere so you have control and are able to stay online better , keep the tires in contact with what your getting over. You have the option to let off the gas and creep or not even touch the brake on a down hill. Rarely do I touch my clutch when Im moving. Makes that last longer too. Only because JKs already have a weak front D-30 , its not advisable to go 5.13 . 88s are the first gear in the power zone and 56s are a great all around gear for 35s. Unless you plan to go bigger tire and or change out your front axle , Its what we got to play with . FjR68
Blue Yeti

Unread post by Blue Yeti »

The highway speeds of 65-75 def showed the 3.21 gears.... tacking at 2k, saving gas but no musto to go up even a small incline! :handgestures-thumbdown:
Every hill I went up I had to downshift to 5th and once got into 4th so the old granpa's weren't passing me! :character-oldtimer: LOL.
Im thinking of the 4.88s more so now.

Now more diggin and comparing air, cabled and other lockers. :music-rockout:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You definitely were not saving gas . The engine was in labor trying to push the brick through the air . It didnt have enough power to push that weight up the incline . Did ya happen to notice the RPM in 5th when you down shifted ????? Compare that to the chart and see where it is on the up grade. FjR68