CBs

JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

CBs

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I know the club no longer uses CBs but on the open runs and other times the CB is still used. I had reinstalled mine and tested it with 2 antennas, got good SWR readings and made the antenna installation " permanent". I attempted to use it this past weekend and was told I was transmitting but was not hearing / receiving very well at all. I know part may be due to location ( rear bumper) but short of this, any ideas? I am pretty much willing to mount it anywhere for the best result and will just remove the mast when not in use. Thanks.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Re: CBs

Unread post by Hank »

Is your antenna reaching above your roofline from there? CB is pretty sensitive to being blocked, so if you're not reaching up and over, you're missing that direction completely (which would be anything in front of your rig, I'm also guessing people in front of you couldn't hear you that well) I've got mine mounted on my hi-lift carrier, which gets me ~20" above the roof. I've got a spring and a quick disconnect for my antenna, so it's not as "in the way" as it could be.
-- Hank
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Could be the mic too
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Hank it sits about 12" above the roof so not ideal but serviceable. Mark I have a spare mic. I can check that. Thanks
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Are you sure the speaker in the unit is any good? can you hear anything when your just out and about? If folks are hearing you then I dont know if its the mic, could be but if you cant hear on your end id start there, connections could have come loose during the move.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Jim, audio is fine. I can pick up the WX band clear as day...even without the antenna mast
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Thats where you have to be careful of a CB. Transmitting without an antenna even once can burn the dashpots inside. If you can hear chatter with and without you mike , its not that. If you have a better end radio , you may on the front have knobs that change ratios. Look for one that says RESP / Trans / the limiter can be turned down on the radio. It eliminates backround noise . The other knob most used is squelch , Turn it off (counter) to see if that wakes up the receiving. Again its used to knock down backround noise on a particular channel. Put jumper cables on the mount and clamp the other end to something else to make sure your bumpah has a good ground. Could be just the radio has a bad receiving crystal or diode . Let us know FjR68