Death wobble

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Death wobble

Unread post by Frank »

Like Mark said Its assist not full hydro. I read the post about the stock steering box not being able to handle 38s and steel wheels . I need to know who told you this. In my world 1974 CJ-5 came with 28s and I run 35s with DIY bead locks and no weights at all. My steering box is a 10x1 ratio out of a 79 Camaro ! How would a car steering box handle 7" more tires , steel wheels and bead locks. It just dont make sense what was said . If the box was old or out of adjustment maybe. Glad your happy , see ya ona trail soon. FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I just replaced my steering box in June because it had slop
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Axlr123
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Axlr123 »

Frank: Ya I have no idea Frank, however, once the steering was ported out and hydro assist placed - DEATH WOBBLE was GONE! :-)
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Randy : having slop as you called it is normal after a while . Its called wear , and we accelerate that with huge tires and the rest of what we do to them. Ive just never had the experience of a steering box not being strong enough that DW is present because of it. Once the power steering pump is rotating it supplies enough psi to make turning a breeze . Thats like 1200 psi or something crazy. I know youve tried to turn power steering without the engine running. That - in my mind should be enough to stop DW in any case . Unless there is an issue with the box itself and this mask will rear its ugly head again.. I dont claim to be the smartest auto mechanic on the planet. I just know , the principles of them and so far , there is nothing I cant fix. Hope this is your fix. FjR68