Tough Decision Time

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Tough Decision Time

Unread post by Carl McFly »

My TJ has what sounds like imminent bearing failure and I need to make some tough decisions.

EDIT: This is the kind of mistake I like / hate to make. I like that I was (probably) wrong :dance: but hate that everyone knows :doh: Looking at options now, options that DON'T include an engine rebuild (I hope) :pray: and thanks everyone for the support. You all ROCK :music-rockout:
Last edited by Carl McFly on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Re: Tough Decision Time

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Engine. You gots the skills, just need the time and space. Can the bearing be changed out prior to catastrophic failure? Maybe throw in a lightly used 4.0.

I had a 98 taco and until you throw a whole bunch of money into it, it will not perform like a Wrangler. Depends on what activity you really want to do with the 4x4.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

JK? :dance:
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Engine. You gots the skills, just need the time and space. Can the bearing be changed out prior to catastrophic failure? Maybe throw in a lightly used 4.0.
Thanks dude. Thinking it shouldn't be that hard to hoist the engine up a bit, drop the oil pan and change con-rod bearings but that won't do anything for the chatty valves or NV-3550 that also has issues. Another factor is the reliability. I want a rig that I can drive to Rausch (or anywhere) without worrying about catastrophic engine implosions or being THAT GUY broken down on the highway (or mountain):

gee Carl that sucks, did you have any idea?
Oh hell yeah! I'm surprised it made it this far
:doh:

Not sure what I'm going to do but I'm obviously on the sidelines for a while
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Marky wrote:JK? :dance:
JL :dance:
(FIFY)
Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Stroker! There are a few guys in the club who can help with that, ask me how I know...
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Carl, garage is available if you need it. Granted its generator power for now but there is plenty of space.

Id really say that the choice is up to you, Either do it up right and do a bunch of the major stuff at once, or spend the long dollar and get something much newer. Really its up to you, but me I might do up the motor and know that you have it taken care of, assuming that the frame on her is fine.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

pirahnah3 wrote:Carl, garage is available if you need it. Granted its generator power for now but there is plenty of space.

Id really say that the choice is up to you, Either do it up right and do a bunch of the major stuff at once, or spend the long dollar and get something much newer. Really its up to you, but me I might do up the motor and know that you have it taken care of, assuming that the frame on her is fine.
Carl, I can tow you to said garage if that's what you choose. Save you the Uber ride home haha
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:
pirahnah3 wrote:Carl, garage is available if you need it. Granted its generator power for now but there is plenty of space.

Carl, I can tow you to said garage if that's what you choose. Save you the Uber ride home haha
Wow, thanks guys! Didn't expect this.... honestly, thank you very much. I'm not ready to ditch / scrap / separate / part out my TJ and looking at options for a stroker build. Test drove a JL today and looking at a YJ tomorrow (with an Atlas 8-) )

Hope to make a decision by this weekend on what to do with me TJ / how to do it and yes, the frame is solid. After multiple, home-cooked and engineered frame patches I had it professionally repaired and it has a lifetime guarantee
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

It’s a tough choice. Not sure how much you drive the TJ. If it’s daily I would go with either an older JK or a JL, and what would depend on what you want to spend. They all hold their value so I spend the extra couple grand on a new JL as opposed to a newer JK. I’m starting to see older JK’s for under $10k, they don’t seem to have the rust problems. If it’s a second vehicle I’d just fix it and keep it going since it’s already built
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Talk to Chad at Golen. He was awesome to work with when I built my stroker.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Being that this wont cost me a penny , As long as your sure the frame isnt gonna bite ya in the butt. DOIT ! My idea would be to rebuild your engine as you know its history. A total rebuild is gonna be a G with parts. A built stroker is twice that. Building a stroker outta yours is less than you think. Ryan W can give ya the low down. Personally I would go overbore only whats needed , and call Mr. Clifford performance 6 = 8 guy and be surprised what he can do for you. My engine is built after one of his. I LIKE IT ! If you have a machine shop you like find out . If you dont , I do ! Save the assembly coin as we can do this asleep. The YJ with the atlas would be my second choice. Youda Man Dude FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I ment to add my thoughts on the stroker at all. I think it gives you mid HP and a big punch at the top. You wanna drag race or wheel ? Just my opinion FjR68