New from Lancaster

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
BRWhelan
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New from Lancaster

Unread post by BRWhelan »

Hello all,

My name is Bryan and I just picked up my “summer toy” a 2012 2d Rubicon. My primary vehicle is a Ram 1500, but needed something I could enjoy on the weekends with the kids. I had a 98 Wrangler when I was in high school, which always held a special place in my heart.

I’ve had a few motorcycles, but once the kids were born, I knew it was time to sell them and replace them with a family toy. This is where I had the chance to go back and relive the feeling of my old 98 by getting a 2012 2D. Though they are a bit more refined, the feeling of the top off, while rowing through gears is all the same.

Currently it is a stock Orange 2door rubicon. I’ve had it on the road just over a week now, but plan on lifting it 2-4in, 35in tires, steel bumpers, 10k winch and other minor body protection items. The front bumper and winch are already sitting in my garage, I just need enough time install it.

My hopes are to get this thing on some trails, but will (realistically) be for getting ice cream and enjoying those summer days/nights.

Anyways, thanks for accepting me to the forums and look forward to benefiting and contributing to the community.

Bryan
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: New from Lancaster

Unread post by Frank »

Welcome Bryan . Early JKs had an issue with bending the front axle tubes with 35s. An easy fix is the gusset kit that gets welded to the inner Cs. Im told by other JK owners there are some unprotected items under the Jeep that need skids or improvements . Ask question and you will get the answers you need. Join the club and come enjoy the camping weekends we do . This is a family club. We do everything from easy class 6 rds . to OMG aint happenin . FjR68
BRWhelan
BSJ Member

Thanks Frank! I didn’t even realize the 35s was a concern for Rubis, I’ll definitely keep those axel tubes solid. I appreciate the heads up. In terms of joining the group, that’s my plan. I have two littles ones, so I’d be curious to see how much fun my 3.5yr old would have doing it. Looking forward to the insight in the forum and meeting other members.
jquader
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by jquader »

You should be fine with the 35's on the Rubi. It's the non-Rubi's D30 that it can be an issue. Ask me how I know.... Then again, I did the same to the D44 rear, it's now a 44 front 60 rear.
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
BRWhelan
BSJ Member

jquader wrote:You should be fine with the 35's on the Rubi. It's the non-Rubi's D30 that it can be an issue. Ask me how I know.... Then again, I did the same to the D44 rear, it's now a 44 front 60 rear.
Thanks JQuader, that’s what I had originally thought, though I’m fine with over solidifying the axils if it’s necessary. Glad to hear you’ve got the experience in this space.

Don’t be surprised if I try to pick your brain at some point in these forums. :)
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Welcome aboard Neighbor. I'm just around the corner in Clinton...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BRWhelan
BSJ Member

BlackKnight wrote:Welcome aboard Neighbor. I'm just around the corner in Clinton...
Very cool! I’ll have to keep my eyes open for your Jeep. Good looking mods on it, help it stand out.