Upgrade time... Lift, disconnects and control arms?

Blue Yeti
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Upgrade time... Lift, disconnects and control arms?

Unread post by Blue Yeti »

On my Jeep I have 255/75r/17 BFG MT tires…. brand new. 31” roughly.
Will upgrade tires to 35 when these wear out.

Was thinking of doing the following:
Teraflex 2.5 lift kit with shocks and springs.

Was gonna add in:
JKS Front Swaybar Quicker Disconnect

Thinking of also adding in:
Teraflex Sport Fixed Complete FlexArms – Front & Back, Upper & Lower

Has anyone done the new control arms to help with the issues that arise from lifting the jeep?
They mention “the caster and pinion angle” issues that arise with anything over a 2” lift.

They also offer the following:
Teraflex Sport Fixed Front Lower & Rear Upper FlexArms. I guess these two really help with the caster & pinion angle issues and this kit is half of the one above... 1/2 the price and 1/2 the arms.

I do have rock sliders, oil and tranny armor and will add in the rear diff armor another weekend. Want to beef up my ride all around. Armor, lift, big tires, winch…. Getting there, LOL!
So are my upgrades logical? Any other suggestions? Thoughts?
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Re: Upgrade time... Lift, disconnects and control arms?

Unread post by KenCal »

I have a 2012 2dr JK with the TF 3" and the TF 8 arm Sport fixed FlexArms. Got the FlexArms to improve flex along with sway bar disconnects and to correct pinion and caster angle. Pinion angle was important for my Tom Woods drive shafts. I like the TF fixed flex arms because they are made specifically for 2.5"-3" lifts, they are stronger and they are maintenance free. If your looking to save some money just get the front lowers and upper rears. I have no complaints, handles nicely on road and off road. Sounds like your on the right path. Ken :handgestures-thumbupright:
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

One word of advise, when you piece mail a system together. You will eventually have more money into it than a complete system that is made to work together. Each there own but I see so many new people do things 2 or 3 times to get things to the point they want them. When if you buy a quality complete system once it's done.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Blue Yeti

KenCal wrote:I have a 2012 2dr JK with the TF 3" and the TF 8 arm Sport fixed FlexArms. Got the FlexArms to improve flex along with sway bar disconnects and to correct pinion and caster angle. Pinion angle was important for my Tom Woods drive shafts. I like the TF fixed flex arms because they are made specifically for 2.5"-3" lifts, they are stronger and they are maintenance free. If your looking to save some money just get the front lowers and upper rears. I have no complaints, handles nicely on road and off road. Sounds like your on the right path. Ken :handgestures-thumbupright:
Thanks for the reply Ken. Sounds like we were just about on the same page except you went 3" and I am looking at 2 1/2"... might have to reconsider the 3".

Did you have to upgrade to the Tom Woods drive shafts because of the 3" lift or was it something you wanted to do?

I do like Teraflex products and thought the addition of the control arms would help all around. Its good to hear you have no complaints.
Blue Yeti

MDSRACING398 wrote:One word of advise, when you piece mail a system together. You will eventually have more money into it than a complete system that is made to work together. Each there own but I see so many new people do things 2 or 3 times to get things to the point they want them. When if you buy a quality complete system once it's done.
Thanks for the reply Mark. Would getting a more robust Teraflex package be a better choice? I didn't really find exactly what I was looking for so I did combine some items.

JKS' lift kit didn't really have a lot to them. Didn't like that you have to drill new holes for the rear links. All other kits give you new ones.
I do like their quick disconnects!

Teraflex's S/T2 package has front lower CA's and a front trac bar.
I would have to go to 3" to get S/T3 package with 6 CA's and a front trac bar.

Is this what you mean? Do you have any other suggestions? I am open to look at any and everything.

I thought those items were a pretty good package to get me up a bit for clearance, room to grow to the 35" tires, stronger arms to smash on rocks and the quick disco's to get some articulation on the rocks.
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

In answer to your question I had to replace the front drive shaft because it was about to fail and decided to replace the rear at the same time. Actually I did not have an issue because of the lift. It was Tom Woods or Adams, just happen to go with the TW's. They are both stronger than stock and offer more flex, if that's the right word. Mark makes a good point. You get everything needed with complete kit meaning more bang for your buck.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

JKs a really sensitive to a lift. Having a complete lift will help with the issues. You said your going to a 2.5" with 31s. You dont need any lift with up to 34" tires I think , so why spend the money . You didnt say what your tire goal is just guessin . Save the money till you decide you want bigger rubber and more gear. FjR68
Blue Yeti

KenCal wrote:In answer to your question I had to replace the front drive shaft because it was about to fail and decided to replace the rear at the same time. Actually I did not have an issue because of the lift. It was Tom Woods or Adams, just happen to go with the TW's. They are both stronger than stock and offer more flex, if that's the right word. Mark makes a good point. You get everything needed with complete kit meaning more bang for your buck.
Thanks Ken. Wasn't sure if going to the lift caused you to replace the driveshafts. Some lifts do recommend getting new ones.
Were all your components a kit or did you buy separately? I found lift and some arms but not all. I want to stay with Teraflex as I like their products.
I will keep looking and hope for some good suggestions.
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Metalcloak one and done
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Blue Yeti

Frank wrote:JKs a really sensitive to a lift. Having a complete lift will help with the issues. You said your going to a 2.5" with 31s. You dont need any lift with up to 34" tires I think , so why spend the money . You didnt say what your tire goal is just guessin . Save the money till you decide you want bigger rubber and more gear. FjR68
Currently I have 31's. My pumkin is 11 1/2" off the ground, my CA mounts are 12" off the ground. I compared a friends JKU and he has 2 1/2" lift and 35" tires and his pumkin is 12 1/2" off the ground and his CA mounts 16 1/2".
After the bashing I did at the 101 I figured a lil lift and some bigger tires will help clear some rocks.

My 31's are brand new, doubt anyone would want to buy so I will run em till they need to be replaced.
Figured a lift will help clear more rocks till I can get bigger tires and then clear even more and the beefier CA will help while I bash rocks in the process of upgrading. Kinda makes sense no?

I am not set on 34's.... don't seem to be able to find them. Was worried about wrecking the front axle going to 35's.

I guess my goal is playing in the green and blue areas, 2 1/2" lift makes a JK look good and 34" - 35" to get it up a bit and have some fun off road.
Blue Yeti

MDSRACING398 wrote:Metalcloak one and done
Thanks! I am checking them out and drooling a bit!
Those are kits... not like I see at some of the other 4x4 sites.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

If you're going to wait for your 31’s to wear out, that will take a couple years. I’d spend the money on full skids now and just drag it over everything and lift it when you are ready for new tires.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

FWIW, I just put on tires, 315/70r17 (Cooper STT Pro).
They are 34.4" on paper and about 34.25 as mounted and installed on the Jeep @ 30psi.

But there's a lot of tires in that range:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/34-inch-tires/

FWIW, there is about a 1/2" of variance across a lot of tires in this size range regardless of advertised size.
2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

Did adjustable track bars front and rear after I had the lift in to center axles then CA's. As Mark said before , a complete kit will give you everything needed. One and done. Sounds like you may be undecided on tire size. I would suggest you decide on that first. That way you will know better what you need for lift. With flat fenders and the right back spacing you should be able to run 35"s now [most are actually closer to 34"]. Randy makes a valid point too. :music-rockout:
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Metalcloak one and done
Agreed, 100%

I went through a few variations of lifts, some part here, some parts there. Probably spent the cost of a metalcloak kit in total. After I was finally done chasing around parts that could work, I bit the bullet and went all into a metalcloak lift, and it was extremely worth it. Everything is designed to work with itself, all the research and development was completed by professionals. One of their JK lifts was even tested against factory vehicles to meet handling characteristics that apply to all new vehicles off the showroom floor. Passed with flying colors while on 37’s. Impressive.

Buy once, cry once.

Save your pennies, get some wheel time stock, learn the skills, then upgrade.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly