Anyone use Programers? what are the best ones?

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Anyone use Programers? what are the best ones?

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Looking at the BullydogGT programmer. anyone have one, use one, What about Procal and Diablo? Does anyone use those?

Adding 35's have K&N filter, looking at a loop delete and catback exhaust system. Bullydog now allows for custom programming to add specific parts into the parameters (requires dealer/Bullydog interaction). Once I go to new Axle housings I'll be re-gearing, but not till then.
The Bullydog seems to offer a ton of programmable features

Thanks in Advance...

Bob
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Lisah311
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Anyone use Programers? what are the best ones?

Unread post by Lisah311 »

2005 Rubicon
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have a Superchips tunner that I like, Allows me to set tire pressure down to 23 or so, change the size of tires, gear ratios, check engine codes, clear them etc can also increase idle rev for winching and a lot of other things and it was reasonable money. I bought the cheaper version of the two main ones and it can be upgraded if I wanted to via SW updates to the "better version" just havent seen the need.. a couple of nice features are that it will turn the fogs into daytime running lights and allows for single touch blinker cancels with lane changes.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have found from reading and what friends have experienced. Turners , any tuner is more likely to increase HP and torque at a higher RPM than factory. For what we do , thats not what you need. On the road it will make it livelier but at the cost of low RPM torque. Being able to correct the tire change / speedo thing is great and I hear also you can stop the tire air sensor from glowing when aired down. What are you trying to do Bob , compensate for the tire change ? Gear change is the only true solution there. In my day we just changed the cam to a different lift or duration to change how it pulls . FjR68
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Frank programmers are a little different than tuners although some of the higher end models do allow you to change the tune of the engine as well. The JKS have a computer instead of a gear driven sensor to determine wheel speed and once you change factory gears or go beyond 33" tires you need to reprogram the Jeeps computer to let it know otherwise your speedo will be off, they can do a host of other things as well.. there are rock crawling tunes available that can help with idle and stall speed but I haven't gotten into that stuff as yet
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

I like the AEV ProCal Bob. Easy to use and it allows you to change for gears, tire size, change the TPMS setting or even disable it if you want. It will help you center your steering wheel also plus a few other things like increase idle for a few mins. when winching. Just my 2cents. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

I've also got a ProCal. It's simple to use, does quite a bit (outlined in other posts) and doesn't need to be plugged in all the time. You also don't have to send out your PCM to be modified with the ProCal. It doesn't do any tuning, or datalogging, so you're missing out on those, but it's also not as spendy as the others.
-- Hank