Cb radios v FRS

JoeyA-261
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Cb radios v FRS

Unread post by JoeyA-261 »

I'm new to the group and all signed up for the 101 in a couple of weeks. I've got a CB, but it looks like you guys are using FRS radios. I don't know much about either radios, but the little do know (or guess) is that CBs can't communicate with FRS radios - different frequencies or something. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance,

Joey
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Cb radios v FRS

Unread post by Kurt »

Correct. A CB radio cannot communicate with a FRS radio. They operate at vastly different frequencies.
The hand held FRS radios that 99% of clubs member use is a Baofeng UV5R. About $25 on Amazon. Great little radios.
I have 4 of them.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Cb radios v FRS

Unread post by Frank »

Joe CBs have been used by people for a way long time , then someone thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the club to these FRS radios . If your a sportsman at all , look at a better brand and mostly come in pairs . They are great for hunting ,hiking, boating or even if your multiple car traveling. My son and I use them hunting "Motorola GXT" have the swat style headset , when you whisper we can hear every word. Your gonna want some kind of hands free device I would think . FjR68