I need a replacement jack

You can talk about anything here
smarshall
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

I need a replacement jack

Unread post by smarshall »

Hey everyone. The stock scissor jack on my 2015 2dr JK was actually a rusty paperweight it turns out. Looks like the back jack bay flooded at some point with the previous owner. In any case, I am looking for a replacement. Looking for a jack for changing flat tires and some driveway brake jobs. My 2 door doesn't have a ton of extra room in the back so carrying around a floor jack really isn't an option. A basic scissor jack from harbor freight doesn't appear to have enough height on it. I have read good things about bottle jacks, but it seems sub-par ones leak and are unreliable.

Any recommendations are welcome, thanks!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: I need a replacement jack

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Whatever you get make sure it is secure in your jeep! It is a weapon if just laying in the back.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I keep a harbor freight bottle jack in my jeep. Get a good base plate and make sure it’s secure under the axle when you jack, things can slip, stay safe.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Bottle jack in an ammo can. You can wedge nicely under the back seat and strap it in. The ammo can can hold your flashlight, jack handles, spare jack oil and gloves.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

there is actually plenty of room for a bottle jack where you had your scissor jack. Just make sure you keep it in a water tight plastic bag, otherwise the bottle jack can seize up too. Ask me how I learned that. ;)

Also its a little spendy but they make a cradle for the top of the jack that can fit around the axle like a c cup and keep the jack from slipping off. I don't mind a bottle jack in my driveway or somewhere flat, but they can be just as dicey as a high-lift off road as the contact with the jeep is somewhat minimal in a quarter size area.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Dual purpose jack and jack stand. Only downside is that it doesn't fit into the jack compartment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJJZ5YC/re ... UTF8&psc=1

If you get one, get the 2 ton, not the 3 ton. The 3 ton will not fit under the axle with a flat tire.
smarshall

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will take measures to make sure I don't have an airborne bludgeon in the back. I'll go the bottle jack route. I'll check out the 20 ton HF one this weekend while I'm there to see how compact it is. If that doesn't look like it will work I'll nab that one on amazon. It is a bit bulkier but looks really stable. That U bracket seems critical so that is a great recommend.

I'll grab one of these.
HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 66482.html
Amazon:
smarshall

The only reason I am looking at the 20 ton HF jack is because it has a max lift of 18". Some of the smaller HF ones with a max height of 15" don't seem like they will give even my stock 32" tires enough of a lift off the ground.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

If you're going to be on dirt ( or mud) you can build up the base with a few 2x10's or 2 x 12s stack up a couple to build up the base and give yourself a more stable footprint to work with at the same time. 18' lift is great but if you are on soft ground with out a good base, its just a dirt dart once you put weight on it
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Cannoli
BSJ BOD Treasurer
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Cannoli »

If you decide on the Powerbuilt UniJack you can get the 6000lb one from Pep Boys for $45. https://www.pepboys.com/powerbuilt-6000 ... 7?tab=tab4 It's a good jack for the money but does have it's limitations. You need to unlock the lever before lowering. I don't like to crawl under the jeep to release it so I only use jack points that are reachable without fear of jeep falling on me. Pros are it lifts 21", has a cradle on top and a solid base.