Seat repair / Foam issues

Blue Yeti
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Seat repair / Foam issues

Unread post by Blue Yeti »

Looked around here and didn't see any posts on seat foam issues. Did search out on the web and found stuff on other forums.
Not sure if anyone is in my shoes with some bad/deteriorated foam in the drivers seat.

So I looked at Junkyard, most were expensive and wet/possibly moldy.
Looked at new and starting at around $250 each for a basic one. Can go up for better $350+ or Racing $500 -$1000 each.

Found a local upholstery guy who is going to replace the foam and the whole bottom of the seat fabric for $130. He had a very close match to my grey and was only going to do the side but I told him to just do the whole bottom and it will blend in nicely.

I was thinking this was a pretty good deal as just the foam was around $80. Below are some before pics and I will put up the after when I get them back on Friday.

MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Seat repair / Foam issues

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Craigslist is your friend also, a lot of people give old stuff away
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

A lot of times that part of the seat gets hammered as we tend to slide in and out over this bolster . Having it reupholstered will make it like brandy new. Good choice . When I had mine rebuilt I had them add foam to the sides from the top to the bottom. It helps hold you in place better while wheelin , yes you have to slide in around it but it worth it. FjR68
Blue Yeti

I look on CL once a week to see what for sale or free.... some good stuff on there from time to time.

I thought getting it redone would be the best way to go. Now my new to me Jeep has a new seat for me to thrash in the woods!
Lets get muddy!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

No ! Lets play on rocks ! FjR68
Blue Yeti

Frank - Never really played on the rocks. Willing to grab a passenger seat so you can show me the way... let me know.
I have always been a mud guy!

So my Upholstery guy called late yesterday and had my seat done. Sweet! I said I would pick it up this morning.
Went and got it and it looks and feels awesome! Like a brand new seat. Colors match, foam is nice and comfy and he only charged me a Ben Franklin!
Took it home, installed it before work and now I am good to go! Happy Thursday! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Blue , Yessssssss . Thats awesome. Isnt it funny how someone is good with a sewing machine and were good at some thing else. Its a small thing but wow , how much difference it makes. Now on to more serious stuff. MUD ! Nasty stuff , ugly ,Dirty, Corrosive . Get my drift. This is how I (just me) look at mud . I love watchin it squish out from under my tires. I love watching race trucks and cars , high horse power stuff rippin across the pit. But I will go around it if I can . Had an experience years ago at an off road park where a bunch of us played in a mud pit. It had a sign that read , "Caution " 2 to 9 FEET deep . We just dicked around over here then some one went a little further , than again. You know how that goes. We stopped at a do it yourself car wash and proceeded to plug up two bays with mud. 3-4 yrs later I removed the body to do something and it all came back to me. The fun that day was in places your power washer couldnt get to . I replaced or repaired the rot in the frame cross members and swore . Look it up . MUD while its drying is very corrosive . If I can I go round it. I love the trails with and without rocks. Ledges , hillclimbs, some water crossing , it still fun after 17 yrs. Mud --- not so much . Your quite welcome to hop in with me if you want to see further into the pit you have fallen into $$$$$$ . It happens. ps/ Im hoping you have real tires , not like your AVATAR. FjR68
Blue Yeti

Sal made my crappy seat that I needed a pillow to sit on and drive into a brand new, comfy seat that I will enjoy for miles and miles!
Glad he's good at sewing cause in Home Eck I sewed a girls finger to something.... haven't went near a sewing machine since.

I didn't realize mud was as bad as you say. That's a shame cause it can be a ton of fun!

I like the part about 2 - 9' of mud! That's deep! Can swallow a truck whole!

I have an idea how far down the rabbit hole I can go. All fun stuff is like this. Some of you guys have some really sick ride and I am a lil jealous to tell you the truth. Can't wait to see them all out there.

LOL.... I have real tires. That pic is there till I get my Jeep the way I want it and then a good shot of it doing something.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Ats the spirit ! I cant tell ya how me and my two boys would wheel , ask a bazillion questions and go home and make something to do this or that better. Id say after 14/15 yrs , Im purdy happy with how "Mona" works. She looks better from 20/30 feet , but that expected if you play this game. Dont get me wrong dude , MUD has its place in our sport , come to the Great American Jeep Rally in Ellington in Sept. That pit has as many goers as the rock garden. See ya on a trail soon ! FjR68
Blue Yeti

Love the Mona is a 20' - 30' er! LOL
My Vett is a 6' - 8' footer !
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member