New Member from Woburn, Ma

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
smarshall
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New Member from Woburn, Ma

Unread post by smarshall »

Hi Everyone,

I just became a member along with my wife this past February. I am new to off-roading and I am greatly looking forward to the 101 class to learn as much as I can. I have a 2015 JK 2 door and all I have done so far is replace the front and rear bumpers with something a bit more durable. This is my daily driver so I am trying to keep it simple and learn some light trails this spring.

I am upgrading components slowly as I learn more and since I have about 40k miles on the Jeep, it is about time to get new tires. I want to get something a little bigger and grippier for light trails but still keep it reasonable for my daily commute. I have read a lot of differing opinions on forums, but I would really like some opinions from here. Let me know if there is a different thread that is best for that.

To me it seems that upgrading from the stock 31" tires to a 33" at about stock width would be a good first step. I would like to install a 2" lift but as I am budgeting upgrades one at a time, and my tires need replacing this year, they have priority. It seems like 33" at stock width shouldn't get me into too much trouble with fender rub when turning, and they shouldn't be too heavy for the standard 5th tire mount on the rear gate. From what I've read I'll need to get my speedometer calibrated but re-gearing is not critical at 33". All terrain tires seem like the way to go so that I can maintain my daily work commute and afford me light off-roading. I know there are a lot more metrics to consider, but hoping to bring some good advice with me to the local tire shops.

So, my questions are:
1) What is your opinion on tire dimension without a lift for light use?
2) Are there any local shops North of Boston (Woburn-ish area?) that are great for advice and getting work done on Wranglers? I'd like to keep it local.
3) Is this something I should hold off on until after the 101 class? My tires are fine for a bit longer on pavement, but not sure how they will handle on even a light trail at this point.

I look forward to meeting you all! Hopefully I see some of you at the Spring meeting in March.

-Steve
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Re: New Member from Woburn, Ma

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Welcome Steve, I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what a stock Jeep can do. My best advice would be to come to the 101 as you are, meet other members and ask questions. If you find a Jeep with something that you are e interested in, talk to the owner. There are as many Jeep set ups as there are owner. Each one has their own taste and reasons for their mids.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Welcome,

Zaku II huh? Zeon scum. LOL
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Hey Steve , 2 doors start off with a big advantage over a 4 door as you will see when it comes to lifts. There are rubber inserts (Cheap) that just extend you stock spring downward 2" if thats what you buy. Great way to start. Tires is a BIG-Ole can O worms . Its a smart idea to stay with near a stock width tire but Id go a tad wider myself 1-2" . I went yrs ago from a 29" X 8" to a 32" by 10" on the same wheels . It not only looked better , it worked better. The 101 will tell you all you want to know about which way you want to go WHEW ! See ya at the meeting and on a trail FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Welcome to the site, some great folks with a ton of knowledge to help you out, and plenty of jeeps to see different things on and how they work with each other. See you out there.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
smarshall

Thank you all for the advice! I have to say, it is really nice to find that this group seems chill and laid back. I can't wait to meet up with you all so I can pick your brains. With a ton of white fluffy stuff to clear at the moment, April 6th can't come soon enough.
smarshall

Modeler wrote:Welcome,

Zaku II huh? Zeon scum. LOL
Thanks! The wife and I are both big fans of some Zeek mono-eyes :)
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

Love it. LOL

Here's my Z2
smarshall

Great paint job! Looks crisp!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I hope thats not a full-semi-automatic ! FjR68
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

And standard capacity too.