Good quality gear storage. Atlas 46

Richl35
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Good quality gear storage. Atlas 46

Unread post by Richl35 »

I have recently purchased the Atlas 46 Canyon trunk bag and the Yorktown Mechanics took roll. I am very happy with the quality and the usefulness of the product and wanted to throw out a review for anyone who may be interested in something similar. I figured it would be a good idea to post up a couple pictures so that you can see the quality of the product and the amount of stuff it helps me keep ready to go. Clearly, I am not sponsored or anything . I paid full price for this product and trust me they aren't giving it away. Of course... With the quality of the Atlas 46 products I'll take anything they want to give me! Hint hint nudge nudge... LOL.

The trunk bag. The overall size is 24 x 13.25 x 8. It fits behind my rear seat on the floor of my 2-door JK. The latches you see conveniently tie into the loops on my backseat and the floor solidly keeping the bag exactly where you put it.

The bag is broken into two halves. One side I have loaded with some recovery gear.

I carry a tree strap, 30ft tow strap, 20ft Kinetic recovery rope, 2 shackles, a couple ratchet straps, snatch block, a weight to hang over a winch line and a pair of gloves.

Then for the other side... Tools! You can see in this picture the tool roll. It fits perfectly even loaded up.

The Yorktown Mechanics tool roll has one side that is lined with wrench/took slots on both sides. A velcro flap folds over to retain everything in its pockets.

The other side has a series of pouches.

This is what I have in the bag for tools. What isn't shown is a small set of torx sockets and a small digital multimeter but I'm sure you get the idea.

So all of those tools EASILY fit in the roll with a bunch of room to spare. The loaded tool roll along with the following tools fit into the Canyon trunk bag and it begs for more..

BTW.. that's a 32mm wrench and the prybar is 24" long to put things into perspective.

The pictures don't do the products justice. It is made out of a very heavy canvas and nylon strapping and the stitching looks to be very durable. I suspect they will last a looooooong time!

If your in the market and you're a buy once type of guy (or girl) take a look.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Good quality gear storage. Atlas 46

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I have that same tool roll. Carries everything I need
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

That looks like a nice roll. I've got a set of Dirtbagz (https://www.jeepswag.com/dirtbagz/) in my JK that keep my stuff out of the way, and I like them. They bolt to the hard top holes, and can be run with or without the hard top. They're a LOT bigger than they look, and hold a lot of stuff, though, with the top folded down, they're kind of a PITA to get into. The tool roll that came with them is also of good quality, and carries a lot, but definitely not that much.

I'm also not sponsored, unless you count them being a Christmas gift from my lovely wife. (which is why a sweatshirt constantly lives in the left one. They're not waterproof, so keep your sweatshirt in a bag.) Not crapping on your review, as your bag looks awesome, just offering a bolt-in option for those of us that always forget to grab things on our way to the trailhead. ;)
-- Hank
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Hank wrote:That looks like a nice roll. I've got a set of Dirtbagz (https://www.jeepswag.com/dirtbagz/) in my JK that keep my stuff out of the way, and I like them. They bolt to the hard top holes, and can be run with or without the hard top. They're a LOT bigger than they look, and hold a lot of stuff, though, with the top folded down, they're kind of a PITA to get into. The tool roll that came with them is also of good quality, and carries a lot, but definitely not that much.

I'm also not sponsored, unless you count them being a Christmas gift from my lovely wife. (which is why a sweatshirt constantly lives in the left one. They're not waterproof, so keep your sweatshirt in a bag.) Not crapping on your review, as your bag looks awesome, just offering a bolt-in option for those of us that always forget to grab things on our way to the trailhead. ;)

Man... Why did you crap on my review? Ahhh... just kidding!

Feel free to post up options if you got them. Not everyone's solution fits everyone's needs so I am happy to see what others are doing.

I found the Atlas 46 Canyon bag because I was searching for something that will hold my stuff and NOT hit me in the back of the head if things got a little more exciting than I expected. Tying into the floor loops solves that for me. I almost flopped a couple weeks ago and the thought of what I was I was in for had me looking for options.

Have you ever had to lock up the brakes and then immediately had the "Oh crap, I hope someone isn't about to rear end me" thought? That happened to me when I almost flopped. I wondered about my cooler, tools, impact gun, etc..
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

That roll looks awesome! A bit speedy for my cheap self. It really holds all that stuff??
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:That roll looks awesome! A bit speedy for my cheap self. It really holds all that stuff??
I completely agree it's a little spendy! But the quality of it is what you expect at that price point so at least that's not a let down. Not only do I have everything you see in it but I have tons of empty space still. I'm sure they'll be some odds and ends I want to add as I go and I'll have a little bit of room left to accommodate them.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I saw the roll that Randy carries while we were doing a quick trail repair, and I will def agree that it holds a TON of tools in a fairly small area but well organized.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

Well I've decided my plan is just to make sure my Jeep breaks down next to Rich, and then I'm covered! I actually had all my tools spread out on the floor last night to do an inventory check for Fall Crawl, and was thinking I should take a photo for the BSJ forum. And then I saw this post and realized I need 34 more screwdrivers before I'm ready for a photo shoot. ;)

I now realize what-to-pack-and-how-to-pack-it is a never-ending game as you build experience. Just when I think I've got it figured out, I see a post like this that sends me back to the drawing board.

I just upgraded to this Blue Ridge kit, which consolidated my Husky tool bag and wrench roll into a single unit. This video is a few minutes long, but I found it fascinating . . . and strangely impressive to see guys who can sew so well. But unlike Rich's new system, I will need separate storage for my hammer, pry bar, other long items and recovery gear. I do have a set of Dirt Bagz, which work well for all of that stuff and also hold all my fluids. When I take the hardtop off in the summer, I simply use the Dirt Bagz as removable tool bags that ride in the cargo area. The entire top of the Bagz can zip open, making them very easy to get into.

https://youtu.be/H958BrgffUE

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

And by the way, while we're on the subject of tools . . .

I found this in my tool kit last night. One of those mystery items that you knew was important enough to keep, but not important enough to remember what the heck it is for. I spent a lot of time searching online, but can't figure it out. It's a small cone, and it looks like one end is a female Schrader valve port and the other has a tiny pinhole in it.

Any suggestions?

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

MattJ wrote:And by the way, while we're on the subject of tools . . .

I found this in my tool kit last night. One of those mystery items that you knew was important enough to keep, but not important enough to remember what the heck it is for. I spent a lot of time searching online, but can't figure it out. It's a small cone, and it looks like one end is a female Schrader valve port and the other has a tiny pinhole in it.

Any suggestions?

Greasing driveshaft center bearings
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks! It definitely looks like a grease needle nozzle. Wonder where it came from. Is it part of the OEM kit from Chrysler?

And I’m not sure if it’s worth carrying in my kit since I don’t have a grease gun . . .
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

I got one with each Tom Woods driveshaft
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Yep - that must be it. Case closed!

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

A ha!
Get a real metal one and don’t forget to use it once in awhile
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

MattJ wrote:Well I've decided my plan is just to make sure my Jeep breaks down next to Rich, and then I'm covered!

And then I saw this post and realized I need 34 more screwdrivers before I'm ready for a photo shoot. ;)

I now realize what-to-pack-and-how-to-pack-it is a never-ending game as you build experience. Just when I think I've got it figured out, I see a post like this that sends me back to the drawing board.

If it makes you feel better I decided not to put the red handle screwdrivers (actually torx drivers) back in the bag.. so I am down to the multi driver (which has torx in it) and the 8 blue screwdrivers. Haha...

My kit really didn't start with my Jeep but actually my road service days for my company. You run into situations you add a tool or two for. The kit keeps getting bigger and bigger. So when I decided to have a designated kit for my Jeep I started with my road service kit and then added Jeep specific tools. For example tools necessary to pull a front axle. So really at this point me and my 8 screwdrivers are guessing what I will need on the trail. Better too many than not enough!